Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That was fast ... Xbox360 recalled from BestBuy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was fast ... Xbox360 recalled from BestBuy?

according to that site yes ...

http://www.teamxecuter.com/
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

There have been demo units in stores for quite some time. If there was really such a problem, we'd know a lot more about it because the demo units would have been failing left and right.

As far as anyone can tell, the # of units that have required warranty service is within reasonable norms.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
      There have been demo units in stores for quite some time. If there was really such a problem, we'd know a lot more about it because the demo units would have been failing left and right.
      Demo units were probably hand-tested before they were ever shipped out. Plus, where's the PSU kept in the demo stand (I don't know, haven't looked).
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        Demo units were probably hand-tested before they were ever shipped out. Plus, where's the PSU kept in the demo stand (I don't know, haven't looked).
        I don't think so. There were stories of a few bad demo units. BTW, the post cited doesn't say anything about the PSU. Where are you getting that?

Comment

There are lots of rumours floating around.

One rumour is that the shortage is IBMs fault because they didn't ramp up CPU production as fast as they said they would.

All I'm saying is that there are lots of happy 360 users on the forums at xbox.com. If there really was a problem wide spread enough to cause a recall, we'd have heard about it by now.

Comment

From what I've been reading on the web, the biggest cause of problems for people appears to be an overheating power supply.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Isn't the power supply an external brick?

I've heard that some people are having a heat problem. I'd guess it's because the unit is designed to look like a HiFi component and people are sticking it into their racks without ensuring that it has enough ventilation.

Comment

I've heard that some people are having a heat problem. I'd guess it's because the unit is designed to look like a HiFi component and people are sticking it into their racks without ensuring that it has enough ventilation.
                I've read on other forums that MS tells you NOT to put the power supply on a rug or what not (in the directions FWTW) because it will overheat.

Give it a couple more weeks..hell it was just launched last week!
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

It is an external brick, but it is HOT. Some of them are of poor enough quality that they cannot cool themselves, even resting on a flat surface. Also, the main unit itself is putting out a good bit of heat.

mkraft writes "A gamer fed up with his new Xbox 360 crashing every 20 minutes has fixed the problem by raising the power supply off the ground with some string. Goldeneyemaster over at the GameSpot forums indicates that the main reason for his Xbox 360 freezing up is the power supply overheating. Th...

Here's a guy that put the main unit in his stereo cabinet and took measurements:
                  First of all, I want to mention I can run my Xbox 360 for a stonkin' forever without it crashing. I have taken a few steps though.First of all, I separate the power supply from the 360. I have my 360 in a stereo cabinet, but I have the power supply behind the stereo cabinet on the floor. I did this ...

0:00 - 73.4F (ambient)
                  0:30 - 89.4F
                  0:50 - 94.8F
                  1:10 - 98.1F
                  1:30 - 100.2F
                  1:50 - 101.7F
                  2:10 - 102.7F
                  2:30 - 103.5F
                  Last edited by Wombat; 30 November 2005, 12:05.

Comment

The shortage is due to Microsoft wanting to gouge the gaming public as much as humanly possible.

Let's face it - they're charging $400 for a GODDAMNED CONSOLE SYSTEM!

And the early adopters, due to the "rumored shortage" are lining up to fork over $400, PLUS accessories, PLUS god-knows-how-much for games... for a system that is decidedly sub-par.

Comparison shots show that the system isn't even more advanced than TODAY'S gaming PC's. While it excels in some areas, in others it falls flat. Wait a year, and it'll be completely outdated... much like the original XBox. So much for the quantum leap in gaming that was going to make PC games obsolete.

I'll be happy with my Revolution, and maybe my PS3 when the price drops and I can MOD-chip it.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      The shortage is due to Microsoft wanting to gouge the gaming public as much as humanly possible.

Let's face it - they're charging $400 for a GODDAMNED CONSOLE SYSTEM!

And the early adopters, due to the "rumored shortage" are lining up to fork over $400, PLUS accessories, PLUS god-knows-how-much for games... for a system that is decidedly sub-par.

Comparison shots show that the system isn't even more advanced than TODAY'S gaming PC's. While it excels in some areas, in others it falls flat. Wait a year, and it'll be completely outdated... much like the original XBox. So much for the quantum leap in gaming that was going to make PC games obsolete.

I'll be happy with my Revolution, and maybe my PS3 when the price drops and I can MOD-chip it.

Uh can get a core system for $299, but you would be stupid if you did

Is MS making any more $$$ off the Xbox 360's going on Ebay? No

As for compairson for the Xbox and the PC...lets see...I need to go out and spend 300+ a year on a new video card for the most part if I want to run the latest and greatest games out there. I'll also assume that you dont have a HDTV, so you wont get the full impact of what the system can do either. Lets also remember...its not about how good it looks..its how fun those same games are.

As for PC gaming...its already dead for the most part. All we need now is a Crash ala 1983 to complete the cycle. How many sequals do you really need out there? Theres abosloutly no innovation out there these days in games...either PC or Console. Also where are you gonna spend your developement money on with a game...on system base that is varied and has only tens of thousands in possible sales or a console with a set base of hardware that has a possible sales base in the hundreds of thousands? Follow the money my friend.
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                        Uh can get a core system for $299, but you would be stupid if you did
                        Clearly.

Is MS making any more $$$ off the Xbox 360's going on Ebay? No
                        No, but they WILL profit (short term) by creating an artificial "demand" for the systems. They can guarantee 100% of the units shipped will sell, and that means that they'll profit from the games almost immediately.

As for compairson for the Xbox and the PC...lets see...I need to go out and spend 300+ a year on a new video card for the most part if I want to run the latest and greatest games out there.
                        Nah. Buy one $300 card now, and it'll outshine the XBox 360 for the next 4-5 years until the next XBox is released.

I'll also assume that you dont have a HDTV, so you wont get the full impact of what the system can do either.
                        Actually it looks WORSE on an HDTV, because the lack of filtering and antialiasing (for some reason, it's JUST NOT BEING USED in the current crop of games) makes it look EVEN MORE HORRIFYING the bigger it gets. The blurry textures at half-screen really POP when they're 5 feet wide.

Lets also remember...its not about how good it looks..its how fun those same games are.
                        Well, let's see - the FPS experience on a console is nowhere NEAR as good as on a PC. Given a choice between the crappy Gearbox conversion of Halo on the PC, and playing it on the XBox, I choose the PC because let's face it - a console controller is radically inferior to a mouse for FPS.

As for other games... well, the XBox just isn't that much fun. Seriously, my neighbor has one and we never play with it. He uses it as a media center, and games on the PS2.

Also where are you gonna spend your developement money on with a game...on system base that is varied and has only tens of thousands in possible sales or a console with a set base of hardware that has a possible sales base in the hundreds of thousands? Follow the money my friend.
                        This is, sadly, true.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

The display demo died at my local Best Buy . It was frozen up or the controllers were broken. Reset didn't help. It would reboot and freeze up again.

Comment

With the recently developments on the PSP front, the now easy ability to "try before you buy" that is, I'm thinking of getting a PSP now and waiting to get a 360 around when Halo 3 drops.

Comment

Waiting for PSP to be in stock for me. Was never gonna jump on XBox360 till the second or third batch, especially since DOA4 is delayed. But since it is delayed, and I am waiting for the next batch, I too am looking more closely at the PSP right now. Especially since it has X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse, and the PSP version has Cable and X-Man. (If you're wondering why I'm interested in these two, X-Man especially, dig up one of my old posts about comics )

J1NG

Comment

Working...
                              X