No announcement yet.

Remote acces to filesystem through NAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote acces to filesystem through NAT?

Story: computer (with Win98) I left at some place does few things, logging and downloading small & rare files, which I upload to where I am quickly via FTP once needed (it has Filezilla server running...). This wasn't a problem because it was connected directly to net, via USB DSL "modem".

However in a week it'll start to use near city-wide "LAN". In some ways this would allow for much more - uploads to the Internet are very fast (because there's not much use of this part of bandwith), so the machine could download also some huge files, which I could quickly upload & burn in cafe at uni. But there's no way I could use FTP/HTTP for this - no external IP and no way to set port forwarding...

So...is there a solution? Only file transfer, nothing more.
    The funny thing is...there are programs that at least almost can do what I want. I was directed at some solutions that use e-mail or IM like transfer together with communication via IM protocol to see file structure...among other things . Yes, trojans. But there are reasons not to use them...not only I don't trust them to not allow anybody else in, but also I'd like to keep running antivirus (Panda...) on the system and...those trojans are total bloatware (not only useless/dangerous features...why are they written in Delphi typically? ). Only good thing - they're invisible, as is Filezilla server now (less chance that somebody will fvck it totally...)

Too bad I can't do programming...with clear, simple vision and all libraries at hand this shouldn't be that hard to create...so perhaps someone did it?

have you tried hamachi and setting up a VPN?
    I have my buddys computer in Halifax in my workgroup now, and I am in Toronto ( some 2000KM away)
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Would be perfect probably...but it's only for Win 2k/XP

edit: Or...it seems it relies on Net framework. Which could be a problem anyway since Net on 98 is rather flaky, or so I heard.
      Perhaps only "interface" part relies on it, not the internals? Anyway, don't have how to check right now, which is somehow related to the thing that it's not ideal solution - requires administrator acces to install. Still, at least it's something...
      edit edit : blah, it won't work

edit2: And does it allow automatic connecting? (without some confirmation on one side/using password)
      Last edited by Nowhere; 30 November 2005, 14:20.

Comment

What about the gmail "gdrive" thing?, its a program that can use a(or several) google gmail accounts as online storage.

Comment

I do not want to simply move files without having CDR in the first computer, etc. I want to transfer them to some other place while being at the "other place", without the participation of anyone else (I wouldn't mind much...but there's nobody who would be able to participate where's the first computer)

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
            Would be perfect probably...but it's only for Win 2k/XP

edit: Or...it seems it relies on Net framework. Which could be a problem anyway since Net on 98 is rather flaky, or so I heard.
            Perhaps only "interface" part relies on it, not the internals? Anyway, don't have how to check right now, which is somehow related to the thing that it's not ideal solution - requires administrator acces to install. Still, at least it's something...
            edit edit : blah, it won't work

edit2: And does it allow automatic connecting? (without some confirmation on one side/using password)
            upgrade to Win2K then

Comment

setup your gdrive

move files to gdrive.

have the remote system monitoring its "shared"gdrive, and get it to move the files of the gdrive as they arrive.
              You might need to write some scripts or use some kind of offline content thingy to allow the remote compture to do it automatically, but it does add the extra gdrive step

Comment

But its other way around, I don't want to send files to remote computer, I want to retrieve them - and it's only partially predictable which ones, I'd need to see directory/file tree...

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                  upgrade to Win2K then
                  64MB of RAM...

Comment

How about spending $200 on a machine capable of running XP? Sorry, I'm not helping am I.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Just had an idea...

Do you think using XDCC server (for example: http://iroffer.org/ ) should work? (IRC does work OK in said "LAN"). I could simply make whole filesystem available, set up some pass to bot/my channel and voila?

Only problem with iroffer is I'd have to find a program meant to starting command line ones in hidden mode (I've stumbled at something like this once...) - icon in tray icon would be OK and completelly safe from tempering, scary looking windows wouldn't :/
                      Oh, and txt config...
                      Last edited by Nowhere; 1 December 2005, 13:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                        64MB of RAM...
                        get more ram .. I am sure you can get that for free or have some laying around at home

Comment

Actually, I have 256MB of SDR more, but...in practice it's 64 (only one works in this computer, and is seen as half size ) and besides I'd like more to have it in with me/in my computer...

Comment

Working...
                          X