Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Healing spinal cords with nose cells....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing spinal cords with nose cells....

Not a joke;

At least ten operations will be carried out to test in humans a technique pioneered in animals by the neuroscientist Geoffrey Raisman, who heads the spinal repair unit of University College, London. He discovered 20 years ago that cells from the lining of the nose constantly regenerate themselves. Professor Raisman's team believes that if those cells were implanted at the site of the damage they would build a bridge across the break, allowing the nerve fibres to knit back together.
    Cross your fingers....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I have heard of this a couple of years ago, its good to hear it got to the humans trial stage

Comment

I heard it a couple of months ago on a TV-report regarding stem-cell treatement. Apparently, similar properties are attributed to those nose cells...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

And if you harvest them from the patient rejection is a non-issue.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've had a nerve disease for 12 years now. I'm fortunate to still be able to walk. I can't run or close my eyes for long periods(I'll fall over). So it's always nice to hear about new treatments. I have Transverse Myelitis. I'm sure no one here has heard of it. They say 1-4 per million get it. Most people that have what I have are in wheelchairs, in severe pain and are constantly fatigued. I'm very fortunate to not suffer any of those to a great degree.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I definitely feel your pain

I have post-traumatic neuropathy & RSDS in my right leg extending to the foot. Add to that carpal tunnel in both wrists (cane use) and post-surgical scarring (4 surgeries actually) due to that massive hand infection last summer pressing on the nerves and blood vessels in the left hand and....

I'm supposed to go in for another surgery (#5) and get the scar tissue cleaned out, but it's hard to convince myself to go through all that again dispite the current pain/numbness etc.

It's especially hard to do it given that the surgeon wants to cut from the fingers to a third of the way up my forearm so she can do a carpal tunnel release at the same time

I'm normally pretty tough about this kind of thing, but I'm so damned tired of getting cut....

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Nothing wrong with feeling the jitters over something you've already been though that you know sucks.

I too have been diagnosed with moderate carpel tunnel in both hands And I'm only 33. Damn computers

What I dread more than anything else is the day I have to get back surgery for my degenrative discs. I have 4 advanced degenerative discs in my thorasic spine (T9-T12). I hope that by the time I have to have surgery, disc replacement will be a common thing. It's actually fairly common in Europe and it has been gaining traction in the US.
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
              X