speaker kit recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaker kit recommendation

I'm looking for a new set of surround sound speakers/receiver. It needs to have optical audio input and a fully wireless remote.

I don't think that I'm interested in a full blown A/V Receiver, just a simple kit that can handle my requirements.

Right now, I have a Creative Inspire GD580 in my exercise room and it's great. I wanted to order another for my TV room but they are heavily constrainted.

Does anyone know of a similar kit that I could buy instead?

If anyone knows of a really good low end A/V Receiver, I suppose I'd be willing consider it. I looked into A/V Receivers a few years ago and the trouble was that I had to buy a really high end model if I wanted to be able to switch multiple HD inputs. I've been waiting for the prices on A/V receivers with proper HD support to come down. I admit I haven't looked in a while though...

One last question... for the rear speakers, I've been thinking of looking into wireless options. Anyone have info on wireless solutions? Do they come integrated with the speakers or are they a separate module I can use instead of wire?
    Last edited by schmosef; 29 November 2005, 19:21.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Actually, come to think of it, I'm going to need a second optical audio input in the future (when the PS3 come out), and possibly three by the end of next year (when my TV provider finally gets HD working).

So I guess an AV receiver is the way to go then?

Any thoughts?

I have to also say that one of the reasons I've been hesitant about getting a proper receiver is that I live in a condo and have to avoid something that's too loud or has too powerful a subwoofer because I don't want to disturb my neighbours.
    Last edited by schmosef; 30 November 2005, 08:59. Reason: typo

Comment

I just found this while I was looking up a mouse for a customer: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10928

Anybody have any thoughts? Canadian MSRP is $669 but my cost is $413.

Comment

Comment

ok, and?

you think I should post my request there?

Comment

Extremetech gave them 8/10 .. if they are the same speakers as the old 680 series, then they do sound very good

btw. Canada computers sell them for $449
            The best deals on laptops, PC, game systems, components, small appliances, cables, and office supplies. Save more by shopping online or in-store!

Not that it is cheaper, but their suggested retail is far off the mark
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

schmosef, yep. Personally I do something like that usually...going to the "source".

PS. watch my latest thread in The Lounge closely

Comment

why should I watch your thread? (ie., r u going to post something funny?)

also, I don't feel like joining yet another board.

there are people here, like KvH, whose opinion I respect on such matters.

if I get the opinion of some brand-x fanboy on some site that I'm a n00b at, how will I know what it's worth?

it's not like I'm asking for advice on a medical procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                  Extremetech gave them 8/10 .. if they are the same speakers as the old 680 series, then they do sound very good

btw. Canada computers sell them for $449
                  The best deals on laptops, PC, game systems, components, small appliances, cables, and office supplies. Save more by shopping online or in-store!

Not that it is cheaper, but their suggested retail is far off the mark
                  Thanks, I'll check out that review.

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                    Thanks, I'll check out that review.
                    I just read that review, and checked out the forum posts...

Interesting...

The one thing that was mentioned in the forums that I hadn't thought of is privacy.

If I'm watching something private on my big screen TV, do I really want the rear channel audio to be broadcast throughout my neighbourhood?

Comment

I'll just make a point in my thread at the end
                      And yeah, sure, there are always risks...but HA.org is quite good when it comes to its area of expertise, and definatelly fallows its Terms of Service . (note: Im not saying you shouldn't ask here...but IMHO asking also there at least won't hurt )

PS. Wireless speakers? I have an urge to yell "run away!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                        PS. Wireless speakers? I have an urge to yell "run away!"
                        why?

Comment

You pay more for something that's worse.

Don't tell me you have such a big problem with cables

Comment

Ok, I won't tell you.

Seriously... my living room is quite deep. And my tv is a 57" HDTV. I'd like to move my couch back. I'd also like more flexibility to move furniture around when I have guests.

According to the review of that Logitech kit the wireless speakers do downsample the audio but they didn't notice the difference.

I'm not an audiophile anyway. I just want to be able to play Halo and hear the aliens approach me from behind.

Once again, I'm more concerned about privacy.

Comment

Why do you fear that your neighbours would know an alien sneaked to you from behind?

(BTW, HA.org is definatelly not about "audiophiles")

Comment

Working...
                              X