What multi-chat program do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What multi-chat program do you use?

What one program do you use to connect to multiple chat services?

Trillian?
    Gaim?
    Miranda?

How do you like them? Do they support all of your favorite advanced features such as file send, web cam, etc?

I've been happy with Trillian for the past couple of years, but anymore, it's just too damn buggy, and the programmers aren't doing jack to fix known bugs. I'm thinking of abandoning it.

I use Gaim, but no video chat and the 'file send' seems unreliable.

Tabbed chat windows are great though (I only use it for chats - msn and icq).

Comment

I'm a Trillian man myself. HATE tabbed browsing in chat and it's one of the main reasons I didn't like MiRC.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Adium. Of course it's a Mac app, but it uses the Gaim lib for interoperability. Has tabbed chat windows, meta-contact grouping, etc.

Never been a big fan of any of the multi-chat apps on Windows, though I did use Trillian early on and Miranda later on.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

trillian
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

proteus. rest of post see JW's above.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I use gaim at work and Trillian at home. Gaim doesn't support webcams, file transfer, and some other things.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I use Miranda for MSN, ICQ, Jabber and IRC (occasional: #MURC ).

For me it is sufficiant (I only need the normal chat function + file transfer), although newer MSN clients seem to be able to send unsupported smileys...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

MSN and ICQ: Miranda on PC. Adium on osx (altough I rarely use it).
                  IRC: Xchat

Miranda:
                  Neg:
                  -Miranda takes to long to setup
                  -could be a bit confusing in the beginning (certainly for the less advanced user)

Pos:
                  -great customization, you can change everything you want, but this makes it also a bit harder to setup see above
                  -it's easy to use
                  -low memory usage (currently 8040Kb)
                  -lots and lots of plugins
                  -stable (only had one issue until now but this was caused by a conflict of plugins)
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Miranda, or my oldest daughter uses Miranda actually.

Everything KeiFront said above although not being him allows to ask him for help which is a Pos of Miranda
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

used Trillian in earlier times, switched to Miranda as it uses less memory. Full ack to Keifront's comments, it's still in its basic configuration as i can't figure out how to change blue to green
                      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Miranda, see Keifront's post with the addition that IRC support for multiple networks is 'weird' (it sort of works with a hack)

Comment

Miranda - 540kb ram usage while idling in the tray
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Trillian 3.1 man.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Gaim. I liked tabbed messages.
                              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                              X