• Show
Clear All

• Hitachi/InPhase to leapfrog Blue Ray?

InPhase is a spinoff of Bell Labs and they're calling the media "Tapestry"

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_3850777.htm

http://www.inphase-technologies.com/index.html

Holographic discs to be unveiled next year

www.chinaview.cn 2005-11-29 10:51:02

BEIJING, Nov. 29 -- The first holographic storage systems with 300 GB of storage capacity and a 20 MBPs Transfer Rate will go on sale in late 2006.

InPhase Technologies and Hitachi are jointly developing this technology, dubbed "Tapestry holographic memory technology", which uses laser light interference to store 300 GB on a single disc.

The disc, which would be around 13cm in diameter and a little wider than conventional DVD promises to hold more than six times the maximum content promised from Sony and Toshiba for their next generation formats.

Holographic storage works by storing information using light-sensitive crystals. Because it uses the whole volume of the disk, not just the surface, it's possible to store much more information than is possible on a DVD.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 November 2005, 07:55.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Kewl. AFAIK, neither have ties to any software corp. Might it be that they would implement the tech without embedding copy-protection or DRM inherent to it?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm skeptical, I've seen several pressreleases about this kind of tech, and all of them said that it would be available nex year, first one was in 98'

So if this really shows up in time for the christmas sales next year I'm bying AAA because we are sure to be attacked by low flying pigs!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Update:

1. this was shown at the last NAB convention (National Assn. of Broadcasters) and caused a huge spash. Recently TBC (Turner Broadcasting) broacast used it on cable/satellite as a proof of tech.

2. Maxell is in and they're targeting both removable and HDD media;

FAIR LAWN, NJ (November 18, 2005)

Maxell Corporation of America, the technological leader in advanced recordable media, and InPhase Technologies are bringing a revolutionary technology to market - holographic media. With uncompressed storage capacities achieving 1.6 TeraBytes per disk and data rates as high as 120 MBPs, holographic technology is a true breakthrough in optical media. These features, along with a long archival life, make holographic media a compelling choice for storage and archival requirements.

Holographic data storage is superior to existing disc and hard drive technologies, and is also competitive against tape technologies in capacities and transfer rate. In addition, it offers a 50+ year media archive life and random data access. Finally, the media is expected to have the lowest cost per gigabyte of any commercial quality removable storage.
        Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

In the end it will ultimately be futile. Media will die soon enough and be replaced by direct download of HD content.

May take a decade or two to happen, but it will.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I heard this is more targeted to replace tape backup solutions, so they are not bothering with getting "acceptance as a standard" from all the usual suspects.
            They just ramped up production of the units and they should be on sale soon enough, so it may end up becoming a standard by "stealth" without all the DRM and other BS.

Comment

Working...
            X