Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs in the matrox capture drivers

Hi all,
    I have spend a lot of money for upgrade of my PC to capture with yuy2, because of the buggy matrox hardware MJPEG-codec.
    I've installed the dutchmans patch (excellent - dutchman, thank you very much for it) with the videotools 1.51, the new huffy 2.1.1 and the picvideo MJPEG.
    By capturing with AVI_IO I got after few minutes the following two types of error messages:
    1. No more I/O buffers available
    2. Error initialising capture process
    By Markus Zingg I was told - there are no errors in AVI_IO, but in the matrox capture drivers. As Dr. Mordrid wrote in this forum, the videotools 1.54 don't work correctly with the yuy2-patch. I'd try to install the 1.52 version of videotools, but I can't find the macrovision crack for it.
    Any other ideas? Thanx a lot for your answers.
    Mike

CPU Athlon 1,33GHz (not overclocked), asus A7V133-RAID mobo, 512MB SDRAM PC-133, Marvel G400, 10GB IBM (system), 2x 80GB Maxtor (video), Typhoon Accoustic Five PCI soundcard, Win98 SE

[This message has been edited by Mike_wdf (edited 07 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mike_wdf (edited 07 May 2001).]

Let's see... I have 1.2GHz Athlon, 256 MB RAM, Marvel G400 and I can capture without problems/drops to YUY2 with AVI_IO and Huffyuv (latest).

Did you optimize your system as per faq#33 on Matrox site? Did you install VIA drivers? Did you disable ACPI? Did you enable 4-way interleaving for memory?

Matrox drivers have bugs just like any other software. YUY2 is NOT supported, you cannot blame Matrox for unsupported things. But you can try to do them working for you just like for me. Optimize your system...

Comment

P.S. I had no serious (but minor) problems with the following drivers:
      - 1.52 (green line at the bottom, but I just crop the video)
      - 1.54 (freeses at 35 minute)
      - 1.55, hacked for G400 (works great, but did not test for 35th minute. People say - freezes too)

Comment

O.k. Well. But actually I'm going to install the W2k on the second HDD, so I'll probably let the ACPI in peace. :-) The other hint's sounds well, otherwise I guess now that the problem hangs with the power-management together - the system disks should be powered down after 20 minutes and this is almost the time in which the error popups appears. But why?!? The capture drives are allways on and are connected to the onboard RAID, instead of systemdisks on primary IDE.
        Than you for your tips too.
        Mike

PS: Ooops - next question I forgot last time too: What does this 4-way memory setting do?

[This message has been edited by Mike_wdf (edited 08 May 2001).]

Comment

I missed the bit about having power management enabled!

Go to control panel and chose power icon. Set it to "always on". Drive off to never.

Windows power management is buggy as they come. I always turn it completely off except when my notebook is actually running on battery power.

Four way memory interleave is a performance feature that should be enabled if you RAM supports it.

--wally.

[This message has been edited by wkulecz (edited 08 May 2001).]

Comment

Mike,

A penny just dropped. Try doing a search on the forum for "Raid" (or especially "highpoint") - you'll find a lot of information that could well tell you where your problem lies.

Cheers

Chris
            (T_I)

Comment

Thanx,
              the problems described in the top are independent from capture format or codec, by capturing with the hardware MJPEG it happens too. I'll try all your hints and we'll see.
              Thank you. :-)
              Mike

BTW - How can I disable the ACPI.

[This message has been edited by Mike_wdf (edited 08 May 2001).]

Comment

You can only Disable ACPI if your BIOS supports disabling it. You will probably have to re-install after changing this unless you get lucky with plug-n-pray.

It is probably best to disable it if possible for win9x but for windows 2000 you definitely want ACPI as its what makes interrupt sharing work and one of the main reasons w2k is far less hassle than 9x in the long run.

Another BIOS setting that causes trouble for some is "Spread Spectrum Clock" try toggling this setting.

Comment

Working...
                X