I promise to never complain about my allergies again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I promise to never complain about my allergies again

Girl dies from kiss by boyfriend who had just eaten a peanut butter snack.

SAGUENAY, Quebec - A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

Christina Desforges died in a Quebec hospital Wednesday after doctors were unable to treat her allergic reaction to the kiss the previous weekend.

Desforges, who lived in Saguenay, about 155 miles north of Quebec City, was almost immediately given a shot of adrenaline, a standard tool for treating the anaphylactic shock brought on by a peanut allergy, officials said.

An autopsy was being performed. Dr. Nina Verreault, an allergist at the Chicoutimi Hospital in Saguenay, declined to comment on the case.

The symptoms of peanut allergy can include hives, plunging blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat, which can block breathing.

Peanut allergies have been rising in recent decades. The reason remains unclear but one study found that baby creams or lotions with peanut oil may cause children to develop allergies later in life.

About 1.5 million Americans are severely allergic to even the smallest trace of peanuts and peanut allergies account for 50 to 100 deaths in the United States each year. Canadian figures were not immediately available
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Yup....watch out for those peanut oil products when using them on your kiddies. Might also want to ask restaurants what kind of oil they cook their wares in, especially chicken shacks. Early exposure to such allergens can often cause later allergic reactions.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

And her boyfriend might as well start therapy now.
      He's going to need it.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

The Kiss of Death ... in a literal form.

Let the therapy begin.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Question is:

are we certain it was the peanut butter and not that he's a male version of Rogue?

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

What's up with all the allergic reactions to Peanuts and Peanut Butter??????????

Back when I was a kid, and even now, I could eat 10 Peanut butter sandwiches without a single issue, and even bags of raw peanuts and stuff.

Is this something new? is the plant being grown with high chemicals as fertelizer rather that organically grown?

Comment

It's in the article. Exposing very young children who have the potential to develop allergies to certain foods and chemical allergens can make the child allergic to them in later life, sometimes violently so.

90% of food allergies involve the following foods;

Cow’s milk
              Eggs
              Peanuts
              Tree nuts (almonds, walnuts)
              Wheat
              Soybeans
              Fish
              Shellfish (often the iodine content)

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 November 2005, 14:36.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

But didn't we always use all those things? Surely there's something anthropogenic (too)?
                FT.

Comment

Depends on the kids genetics, if they were nursed vs. the bottle & how long, mothers diet etc. during pregnancy and other environmental factors.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

There is a hypothesis (reasonably well substantiated by anecdotic and circumstantial evidence) that air pollution causes (or helps to cause) a rise in histamine production through partial suppression of the immune response. This may account for the enormous increase over the last 5 decades of asthma, emphysema, traditional allergic responses etc., especially in urban environments. Of course, much of this increase in air pollution is due to the use of fossil fuels.

It is true that severe allergic responses can happen only after a second exposure to the allergen.
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Given that my youngest is 4.5 yrs old now, would it be safe to assume (that there is a high probability) that they will not develop allergies that have not yet surfaced?
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                        Given that my youngest is 4.5 yrs old now, would it be safe to assume (that there is a high probability) that they will not develop allergies that have not yet surfaced?
                        I only wish umf.

elsewhere I have mentioned that one of my house guests (old friend from uni) has Chronic Fatigue.

About 18 months ago, the docs discovered a large part of the trigger, she is alergic to pretty much everything, lots of food, etc. Carries that adrenalin syringe at all time.

She has been doing the desensitizing treatment for all sorts of things, and her CFS struck at about 14, she is 32 now, and only just begining to get something that we would call 'a normal life'
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

If I want to kiss my girlfriend, I too have to avoid peanut's and seafood.
                          But for her, it's worth it.
                          Titanium is the new bling!
                          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                            Not at all. It can happen at any age. Someone in the village where I lived in Switzerland was sensitised in her late 60s to bee venom from a simple bee sting. The following year, she was saved in extremis from a major anaphylactic shock episode after a second bee sting. I became mildly allergic to ragweed pollen when I was in my late teens (running eyes, sneezing) and to strawberries (hives) when I was about 30.
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                              Not at all...
                              On the other hand, it's not likely.
                              Best just to educate yourself on what to do if it does happen.
                              But not to worry much about it.
                              After all it is "safe to assume (that there is a high probability) that they will not develop allergies" that are life threatening.
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X