New CPR guidelines....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CPR guidelines....

Not only useful if you need to perform CPR yourself, but I'd also pay close attention to the cooling recommendation. Controlled hypothermia reduces the oxygen requirements of the brain.

If one of my relatives had a heart attack and the hospital didn't follow through with the latest procedures I'd be raising the roof.

New CPR guidelines urge more chest compressions

DALLAS (AP) — In a radical change from the way everyday people do CPR, new recommendations urge many more chest compressions.

The revised guidelines issued Monday by the American Heart Association on cardiopulmonary resuscitation change the ratio of chest compressions to rescue breaths from 15 compressions for every two rescue breaths to 30 compressions for every two rescue breaths.

And while the guidelines advocate a "back to basics" approach for the public, they recommend that emergency personnel get more high-tech by cooling cardiac arrest patients for 12 to 24 hours to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Two significant studies have shown that such cooling resulted in improved survival and brain function for those who were comatose after initial resuscitation.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 November 2005, 12:36.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

That's very interesting. That reminds me that I need to sign up for a CPR course and probably an emergency first aid one as well. Anyone have opinions on the best places to generally get those in the US? Community Colleges? Hospitals? I honestly don't know.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Your local Red Cross chapter office can probably clue you in to where they're holding their next round of classes;

Sign up for one of our top Red Cross programs. Classes include First Aid, AED, BLS, CPR, EMR, swimming, water safety, babysitting, child care, and more!

Your local health dept. should also know, but I'd start with the Red Cross chapter office.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks! I honestly haven't done this stuff since my boy scout days, and it's time to get back up to speed.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

hrm a 9 hour course can get you certified in CPR for adults and infants as well as first aid. You can of course do all those seperately but I'm willing to invest a Saturday to get up to speed.

Comment

Interesting. Good to know this shit.
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

You should see what's coming for rescue units; putting trauma/cardiac patients into suspended animation by rapid cooling (hypothermia);

This may offer some hope to a subset of trauma patients who now certainly die. Of course, more research is needed. One thing is becoming readily apparent, induction of hypothermia will play a major role in prehospital resuscitation and brain care as EMS further evolves.
              From what I hear research on this mode of rescue is getting full steam ahead support from all directions.

I've even seen some reports that just cooling the head and thorax using a chilled water jacket is enough in some cases, though many trauma cases may require vascular flushing to more rapidly cool the brain.

Dr. Mordrid
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 November 2005, 18:00.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
              X