Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

single 20"or 19" lcd vs duel crt rt2500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single 20"or 19" lcd vs duel crt rt2500?

hi,
    I am looking for some advice deciding on my next monitor to buy. Currently I use a duel crt 17" with my rt2500 set up. I also edit with premiere. I would like to get rid of the crt 17" monitors to free up desk space and weight.
    Here are my questions:
    1)Do any of you use a single lcd 20" or 19" setup and how is it for workspace when editing?
    2)Which do would you prefer lcd single or 17"duel?

Can't answer for Premiere as I use MSP.

My set-up is dual 18" TFT LCDs + TV through an ADVC (previously 21" + 19" CRTs). 90% of the time, I use a single monitor for previewing, scrubbing, general effects, all timeline work etc. I switch the TV on mainly to judge effects and titling. I switch the second monitor on only for more precise previewing, when doing something critical.

I have an aversion to changing my eye focus from one screen to another unless it is really necessary, as this involves neck movements. Constant toing and froing of the neck causes Wimbledon syndrome.

This is, of course, personal, but I fell that one large screen (as large as you can afford!) is preferable to two small ones, but two largish ones may offer advantages. I would not like to edit on a 17 incher.

I certainly do not regret my massive 21" CRTs.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I've used Premiere 6.5 both ways and I prefer the dual monitors - it allows me to have a longer timeline.
      however, a 20" or 25" widescreen single monitor would certainly be advantagious in may respects - it basically gives you the best of both worlds.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I'll give you a longer timeline

Parhelia: triplehead spanned = 3 monitors for up to a 3840x1024 desktop and a HUGE timeline

(image courtesy of Elie....Premiere 6.5, but PPro and MSPro do likewise)

Large image: http://digitalvideo.8m.net/premiereth.jpg

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 November 2005, 17:56.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Ya Doc, I've go the parhelia, but three monitors just wont fit on my desk
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Get/build a bigger desk

This lab has 3 of 'em about 10' long each (8 stations). Two run triplehead. The DAW is in a booth off the studio.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

True
              but I'm thinking 2 20" widescreens would give about the same visual real estate, and I wouldn't be limited to analog monitors or need to run in stretched mode.

Comment

A single 20" or even duel 19" might be a option for me.
                One more question: What is the rule of thumb for looking for a lcd, as far as resolution and contrast ratio? Is it get the most for your money? Is there anything you guys can think of to look for when buying a lcd or any brands that may not be so good to choose?

Comment

The best TFT screens have a response time of <10 ms: this is possibly more important for video work. Even better, the best ones switch all the transistors off (black) for a millisecond or two before refreshing. This is an improvement because, even though the screen doesn't actually go black, the response time of a transistor from black to white (or any colour) is faster than from any colour to any other colour.

The bigger the TFT screen, generally the better the specs!

Before buying, check the guarantee for dead pixels. Most makers give 5 max but permanently on ones can be more distracting than permanently off ones. I have 5 TFT screens. Ones has 3 (one blue, two red) permanently on. I use that one for 2nd video, generally used infrequently only for previewing. The other ones have none. Unfortunately, not many vendors will allow you to test before purchase (otherwise they would never sell the ones with 4 or 5! ), so it's a question of luck.
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I hunted around this weekend at my local stores for lcd's for computer and learned a lot. From seeing the different size lcd's, going to a single 17" or single 19" would be tough especially from duel 17"s. The prices of duel 17" or 19" lcd's would maybe equal about the same as a Dell 20" lcd wide screen tv, in which I spotted on dells website. That is not counting tax and extra warranty, which would bring me over $500 (trying to stay under $500). Dell has a 3,4,5 year plan and I would still be under $500. The warranty about bad pixels is another thing also as far as computer lcd goes. That varies with the manufacture brand. So, still deciding. I believe I could handle 20"dell wide tv. There are alot of deals out there. It makes it tough.

Comment

Working...
                    X