internet speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internet speed

does anybody know if there is any advantage to changing registry values to improve internet speed? i understand windows uses a fixed set of parameters at the time of installation that aren't optimized for anyone. what a surprise. i have cable and am wondering if i could juice it up a little for free. there is software out there that is supposed to do this but it doesn't seem very popular so i am unsure as to whether to try it or not.

thanks.
    P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Doesn't do much for you, trust me.

Your cable modem does all of that.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

unless he is refering to MTU settings...
      if you don't have a router, and your logging directly in via your pc (pppoe) then adjusting your mtu settings for to match your provider will make a speed diff.
      *though one would hope the software is already pre-set.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
        unless he is refering to MTU settings...
        if you don't have a router, and your logging directly in via your pc (pppoe) then adjusting your mtu settings for to match your provider will make a speed diff.
        *though one would hope the software is already pre-set.
        i have a router, but normally there is only one computer in use.

i downloaded TCPoptimizer from speedguide.net just to see what values were plugged in. there software is free and backs up its changes so it can supposedly be un-done easily.

link:

EDIT:

after accepting the "optimzed" settings and restarting i see a 25% increase using my cable companies speed tester. i do not notice any difference, but haven't tried a download yet to see results.
        Last edited by gangster; 22 November 2005, 18:34.
        P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

generally speaking, it usually doesn't make much of a difference. there are a few parameters that might improve things in certain circumstances where you need a specific result.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Related: this /. story and its comments suggest that you might achieve great results using properly confgured deicated box for routing purposes. Apparently you won't get faster downloads per se, but you can use low latency aps (well...games ) while also downloading stuff at high speed.
            Perhaps some day I'll try something like that...

Comment

Working...
            X