Can´t defragment C:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can´t defragment C:

I´ve tried several utilities, ended up with O&O. None can defragment my hard drive as it should, even defragmenting in boot mode (should this unlock the "locked files"?) I doesn´t get any lower than 30% of fragmented files...

It has plenty of free space, I even turned off page file (running with 2Gb of RAM now), I really don´t understand why is this.

Yes, it´s FAT32...

That's weird. Have you tried to re-install O&O ?
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

You need to run a thurough scan disk (disk doctor, check disk, error correction, etc.) if any defrag fails. It's typically an error on the HDD that messes it up.

The other option is to get a boot-up environment CD like BartPE, that has the ability to integrate a defragmenter into the boot CD and runn the defrag from the CD.

You could always convert to NTFS, too

Resistence is futile.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I ran chkdsk and it did find some lost chains... strange. I ran diskdoctor yesteday, before trying norton speed disk and it was ok.

It´ll try again.

Anyway, before I covert to NTFS, anyone knows a boot disk that allows to access to NTFS? The reasons why I´m still using FAT32 are: I think it´s a bit faster than NTFS, but of course, less secure, and if the OS gets messed up, I can acess all the partition from DOS and reinstall windows after renaming c:\documents and settings and deltree c:\windows...

Comment

that boot disk - ntfs thing is a bit overblown for me, to be honest.

I work in an environment where I have 100 pcs to choose from, so this doesn't apply to everyone, but even if a disk crashes, i can just take it out and stick it as a slave drive in another pc and try to grab stuff off it with some undelete program or easyrecovery professional.

If you are that worried about losing your data, you really should just back it up, external hard drives are cheap these days (I don't know your budget). Then throw away the drive if it crashes! At home I have an ethernet maxtor drive plugged into my router and I use smartsync pro to synchronise all my documents and work to the device every couple of hours. If the drive breaks or the comp gets stolen, I have everything stored at least.

FAT32 faster than NTFS? Not with 29% defragmentation :P And realistically, not ever unless I am very much mistaken.

Comment

Well, when there´s a will, there´s a way, and after all these years standing for FAT32 on C: I converted it to NTFS.
            I was really being lazy, as a bit research found me this wonderfull free DOS utility called NTFS4DOS.EXE. I already made a boot disk that allows me to access all my NTFS partitions for DOS.

I´m defragmenting now in NTFS with O&O with COMPLETE/Name. With NTFS, it should be able to defragment System, MFT, Registry and Directories. It only needs offline mode to defragment paging file, as I said, it´s now disabled.

I´ll let you know how it went.

Comment

I have to say I had one of the most troublesome and sleep depriving event of my computer experience... Conversion to NTFS seemed to be OK, but, for some reason, it kept rebooting the computer randomly until windows installation went totally corrupted

I had to wipe the partitions and do a low level format with a MaxBlast CD I have in hand. I did persist on NTFS, and after a fresh windows reinstall all seems well, and I have already ran O&O and it did defragment quite well the NTFS partition...

So I really didn´t figure what went wrong, and I can´t recomment FAT32 -> NTFS conversion within windows. It can go seriously wrong, and you just lost a day fixing your system...

Comment

Originally posted by Nuno
                Anyway, before I covert to NTFS, anyone knows a boot disk that allows to access to NTFS?...
                As was mentioned earlier in the thread, BartPE is a great bootable CD that actually runs the XP Kernel. Full support for NTFS, all your hardware, network, everything.

Bart's PE Builder helps you build a 'BartPE' (Bart Preinstalled Environment) bootable Windows CD-Rom or DVD from the original Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 installation/setup CD, very suitable for PC maintenance tasks.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                  As was mentioned earlier in the thread, BartPE is a great bootable CD that actually runs the XP Kernel. Full support for NTFS, all your hardware, network, everything.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
                  That´s actually awesome. I tried it and it´s exactly what I want. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                  X