Tottaly off topic - CPU Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tottaly off topic - CPU Temperature

I have upgraded from my 1Ghz Athlon to a 1.3Ghz. I have a cooler master EP5-6I11 and an additional 92mm fan blowing directly onto the heatsink.

The CPU temperature sensor shows 40 deg C when running the CPU at 100% when running SETI@home.

Is this high, average, or good.

I would like to know how the rest of the guys are getting on.

Regards

Pooh

[This message has been edited by Pooh (edited 04 May 2001).]
    ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Pooh, I have never measured CPU temperature, But have run many tests on Silicon Chips. Generally they will run up to 125 centegrade before they pop. Military stuff runs up to 150c. But these were simple IC's.

Athlons etc. have millions of transistors deep inside, so i guess your 40c reading is not representative of the chips internal reading. But 40c sounds spot on, i would 'imagine' it would have a long life at that temp. It will be interesting to see what others have to say on this.

------------------

Comment

40c I would be very pleased with such a low reading at 1gig +
      My Duron 750 at 850 runs at 47 (max) that's with heat transfer paste on the temperature
      sensor for a more actuate reading ! (NOT RECOMMENDED as this could damage you'er MB)

zeb.

cpu maximum temp specs
      http://www.heatsink-guide.com/
      My PC :Matrox G400TV AMD Duron750mhz@850mhz,256Mb,Abit KT7133raid,10gb ibm,10gb seagete,20gb7.2k-rmp fujitsu,LG CDWR 40x16x10
      win98se
      Entertainment : P150mhz@160mhz,16mb,VX MBoad,PCI-TNT with TV/out,H+ dvd,Creative x5 dvd

Comment

My PIII/850 is running at 42C, so you're not too bad off.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have set up 2 other PIII 850 they are running 29 and 39 c
          Mine (PIII 850) peaks at 54c usually 48 to 50c Funning thing is I have anextra cooling fan in older case ,the others do not?
          I am working on getting my temp down. I think it should be close to 40c max. My burner quits working over 50c.
          smitty

Comment

Excellent link zeb7, thanks.

have to say I was supprised to read that the cpu will run up to 95c in spec.

Pooh

Comment

Please allow me to offer a couple of kopecks worth, from an engineering standpoint.

I believe that the temperature is measured as a function of the voltage drop across a diode junction on the chip, fed with a constant current. However, the temperature across the chip surface is not uniform and the sensor is probably fairly centrally situated. Heat may be generated at the part of the chip which is working hardest (i.e. the greatest number of changes of binary state integrated over time.). This heat will be transmitted to the heat sink, with a thermal resistance, conducted sideways and retransmitted back to the rest of the chip, but there could easily be a temperature gradient counting in tens of degrees between the hottest spot and the sensor.

The most critical part of a CPU is the floating point calculator. In the 386 days, with separate FP processors, on intensive mathematical work, I had FP chips overheat to the point of crashing the whole computer, rising to the point that if you put your finger on the IC casing, you took it off again PDQ, while the CPU remained comparatively cucumber-like. It would therefore be quite normal for a Pentium (or, I suppose, Athlon) to show higher temps when working hard.

OTOH, the purpose of this sensor is not to let you know what the actual temperature is, which is relatively meaningless, but to tell the CPU fan to start working harder because there may be an increased risk of local overheating somewhere on the chip.

With modern Si chip technology, peak junction temperatures of 180 °C to 200 °C may be tolerated (but not recommended for continuous functioning). In fact, with modern assembly techniques (e.g. various chip scale packages, micro-BGAs and flip chips) the temperature of the chip during solder reflow may reach 225 °C (without power, of course) and this will rise another 40 °C or thereabouts if lead-free alloys are imposed on the industry by the vested interests. This will be a real challenge to our industry .

------------------
              Brian (the terrible)
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

The temperatures are up to 43C now as I have used the trick of getting the big fan to run at 7v rather that 12v.

It makes a massive difference to the noise of the dam thing.

Thanks again to zeb7 for the link

Pooh

Comment

For who have a mb Asus A7xxxx look at http://brtech.hypermart.net/
                  I'm trying one of these non official fixed bios and it's working great (10°-12° less) on my very hot Athlon 1200.
                  However it's not advisable for non expert users.

ciao
                  Asus A7M266-D
                  AMD Dual Athlon XP1800+
                  DDR PC2100 512(2 x 256) MB
                  Ge Force 2 MX400 - 64 MB
                  OHCI 1394 controller
                  Panasonic NV-DS15 Pal (DV in enabled)
                  HD IBM 60 GXP 7200 rpm 60 GB (system)
                  HD WD Caviar 7200 rpm 60 GB

Adobe Premiere 6.01
                  Windows XP Pro

Comment

We're having a scorcher here so I coincidentally had just got done checking my temps.

Ambient: 29.5 ºC
                    CPU: 38
                    MB: 34

This is on a slocketed Cu FC-PGA P!!!/850 (FSB 100). I just added two new drives, a 10K and a 7200K, so the relative MB temp has really gone up.

Previously, had a Slot 1 P!!!/450(FSB 100), minus new drives, running on a day that was hotter by maybe 4 ºC:

CPU: 46 ºC
                    MB: 31
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

My 900Mhz AMD Athlon Thunderbird stays at 40C in Windows and gets as hot as 45C during Quake 3 Arena or TMPGEnc usage. I'd say that is average temp, then. My old 333Mhz Pentium 2 used to get 25-29C, though! Guess it just didn't have the clockspeed to get so hot.
                      <b>irc.foozone.net</b> port <b>6667 #Anime</b>

Comment

Working...
                      X