Weird DV type 2 problem on Win XP SP1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird DV type 2 problem on Win XP SP1

I took my ADVC100 to a friend's place to capture some of his VHS tapes.

He's running WXP SP1 (English) on a P4 2,8 machine, 1GB ram, lots of software installed, DirectX 9.0C.

I used WinDV to capture. At first I tried to capture to type 2, but once the capture is stopped the temporary file you can see (0 bytes) disappears. Type 1 works, here the temp file is replaced by the correct size, but it's not playing, not even in Moviemaker (or whatever that thing is that XP has built-in)

When I try to convert this type 1 file to type 2, this also doesn't work (although the Canopus DV converter can read the type 1 file apparently) - again the type 2 file cannot be created it seems.

Next I tried Moviemaker itself, DVapp, DVcapture and a bunch of other tools. These have the exact same problem - creating a type 2 file doesn't work.

It seems to me his PC has something broken or installed that blocks this. I'm also thinking there may be a patch needed for XP or Direct X, but as a W2K user I'm not that current on XP.

I suggested installing SP2 but he's got some software he says won't work on SP2 so he's not willing to do this.

Any ideas what I can try to get capturing to type 2 working?

Apulo
    Apulo

Sounds like his DV codecs are not working. Suggest a re-install of DX,
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a try, though I'm not sure it will work (you can't uninstall DX, so not sure what will happen if you try to install the same version again...)

Apulo
      Apulo

Comment

Working...
      X