Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Hezbollah men killed attempting to kidnap IDF troops

Four Hezbollah men killed attempting to kidnap IDF troops

Four Hezbollah men were killed during a multi-pronged attack on Israel Defense Forces positions on the northern border with Lebanon on Monday afternoon. The gunmen apparently infiltrated Israel's border in an attempt to kidnap IDF soldiers.

An unknown number of Israelis, including a civilian resident of the border village of Rajar, were wounded in the incident. The Rajar man was lightly wounded by mortar shrapnel.

Hezbollah operatives attacked a number of Israeli targets simultaneously. Gunners began firing mortar shells at IDF outposts in the Har Dov area. At the same time, a Hezbollah cell crossed the border in Ghajar and opened fire on an IDF outpost there.

he Hezbollah kidnapping attempt was foiled when alert IDF units responded rapidly and returned fire, targeting Hezbollah positions in south Lebanon.

Hezbollah men also fired light arms at Israeli farmers working in fields near Metula and launched a Katyusha rocket at the northern town. An anti-tank missile scored a direct hit on a Metula house. There were no casualties as the family was not home at the time.

Residents of Metula and surrounding communities were ordered into bomb shelters. Security forces closed roads across the north and evacuated civilians touring in the area.

This marked the first clash between the two sides in five months.

The defense establishment said Sunday that the Lebanon-based Hezbollah was planning widespread terrorist attacks in northern Israel.

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz met Sunday afternoon for a security consultation to discuss the potential threat posed by Hezbollah's recent irregular activity in the Har Dov region, along Israel's border with Lebanon.

The defense establishment said it believes Hezbollah is considering intensifying attacks along the border in an attempt to draw attention away from the heavy international criticism of Syrian President Bashar Assad following the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

Mofaz said that it is likely that the pressure being applied on Assad will lead him to abandon terror and evict terror headquarters from Damascus. He regarded this as a positive development for Israel.

Shaba Farms has become the focus of Hezbollah attacks on IDF troops since Israel withdrew from southern Lebanon in 2000. Hezbollah attacks the enclave periodically; the last time was in June, when an IDF soldier was killed.

Lebanon and Syria say the area is Lebanese territory, but United Nations cartographers who surveyed the border after the Israeli withdrawal said it belongs to that part of Syria which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Six-Day War.

The Iranian-and Syrian-backed Hezbollah is under international pressure to disarm. A UN Security Council resolution passed last year demanded that all militias in Lebanon give up their weapons. The guerrilla group has refused, and has so far been supported by the Lebanese government, which claims Hezbollah is not a militia but a movement resisting Israeli occupation.

The Lebanese government has rejected repeated UN and U.S. demands to deploy the army along the country's southern border, saying it will not serve as an Israeli protection force. This has enabled Hezbollah to control security in the border area.
    Feel free to compare this story to the politicly correct (read: We love Arabs) stories on CNN and BBC.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

What is wrong with the BBC and CNN reporting in those articles?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I lost this thread. I thought it might have been deleted.

I read the CNN and BBC articles and while they didn't provide the context that Haaretz did I didn't find them that bad.

They didn't speculate on Hezbollah motives and they did present the action as mutual, not one of attack and defense, but they didn't demonize Israel either.

I guess that with the standard of journalistic integrity so low it's hard to expect much better from MSM sources.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
        What is wrong with the BBC and CNN reporting in those articles?
        That part was missing:
        Hezbollah men also fired light arms at Israeli farmers working in fields near Metula and launched a Katyusha rocket at the northern town. An anti-tank missile scored a direct hit on a Metula house. There were no casualties as the family was not home at the time.
        And how about this?
        The Lebanese government has rejected repeated UN and U.S. demands to deploy the army along the country's southern border, saying it will not serve as an Israeli protection force. This has enabled Hezbollah to control security in the border area.
        They turned it into a incident in Shaba Farms, when in reality Israeli cities were attacked and several citizens were wounded. No big deal, I know..
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

just heard about this on BBC News... (i dont watch local TV anymore) but i suspect this is being treated as a minor incident for now.... however, not the timing... its important... this is happening on the eve of The Lebanese Disinterst Independanace day.... and on the day of political upheaval in israel.... tomorow is promising to be an intresting day.... roumers are circulating that there will be an atempt on the life of Lebanese President Emile Lahoud .... maybe with some more fierworks here and there...

what am i getting to....

hizboulah has been ordered to creat a diversion on the israili border... or atleast infurate the isralies enugh to have them do something on lebanese soil... hopfully tomorow.... if not then within the folowing days... they probably hope to give hizboulah some form of lagitamacy using that now widely used word "siadeh" sovregnty (in lebanon this word should read; bulshit lebanese advertising propaganda campigne used by any one and repeated by everyone for no apearant perpous) and if the roumors turn out true and someone ends up dying here in leb... then obviously its going to get pinned on israel.. only i realy doubt that this tacktic will work this time... if anything hapense tomorow it will probably be by the hands of syrian loyalists or by the "home grown" so called syrian opsision movment (it seams like only yesterday that these same people where chanting the syrian chourus... oh well) or some third party from within lebanon....

in any event ... whatever happens.... things are going to start looking grim for hizboulah... especialy within lebanon unless this is part of the internal political game now being waged.... really... nothing wierder or more duplicit than lebanese politics.....

OTH... it may just be hizboulah mistakanly taking advatage of todays political problem in israel.... rather than sit quietly and observe from a distance .. someone at hizboulah decieds to "seze the opertunity" to do something they may have concidered important... failing to realise that this would inevitably weaken hizboulah's position even further on a lockal and international scale... especialy if the israilies end up retaliating in some maner....

obviously... if anything like that hapense... the majority of the lebanese people will probably say "this is an israilie conspiracy" but size the opertunity to do something about the hizboulah question... (lebanese duplicity for you.... the real reason for any action against hisboulah would be the fudal/political rivalry)...

oh well... lets just hope that things get resolved peacully this time....
          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Israeli TV said Hezbollah's artillery barrage was designed to divert attention from a raid on the Druze village of Ghajar to capture Israeli soldiers
            BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

this is an important bit of info.... hum... maybe i should go and check the local news pages and see what the lebanese Druz ledars have to say about this....
            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

nothing on the local websites yet... (lebanese are lazy)

but did find some intresting reads

not related to topic but so true
              He identified the main problem in Lebanon as the absence of " the concept of the state."
              and thats comming from on of lenanon's war lords... ha.. and head of the Amal Party (the rival shiia party to hizboulah) HA

this is intresting

just to clarify this part
              The Free Patriotic Movement's student committee denounced the government's neglect of the fate of "the independence heroes," saying true independence cannot be achieved until all those missing since the war and being held as detainees by foreign powers are accounted for and brought home.
              the FPM, AFAIK is refering to the lebanese citizan's being held by syria... they make it sound general and inclusive of the detainees in israel just to be lebanese PC... but everyone knows who they are refering too...

but that is not as important as the aleged hand shake.... humm... the shit just keeps piling up on our "poor" president

also note that there are two lahouds... an emil lahoud and a nasib lahoud... i think they are related but i know they are defentivly oposed to eachotehr

====
              this is significant too
              Last edited by SpiralDragon; 21 November 2005, 12:33.

Comment

BTW TX... you should have posted this thread in the Temp rather than out here in The Lounge

Comment

Well, the BBC did say that Hezbollah initiated the fighting.
                  Hezbollah fighters launched a major assault on Israeli army posts, triggering retaliatory air strikes.

Actually, CNN did so too, but you'd have to read carefully to really see it
                  Hezbollah gunners shot artillery rounds at IDF positions in the Har Dov area Monday afternoon, the Israeli military said.

[snip]

The IDF said its troops returned fire, targeting Hezbollah positions just north of the border in southern Lebanon.
                  I can understand you'd rather have a headline like "Them Islamo-Nazi Hezbollah pigs went on a murdering raid today" (which may not really be that bad a description) but not even Ha'artz ran a headline like that.

But yeah, your two quotes would have added substance to the articles. Assuming they had read the rocket part in the IDF-communique (whihc may or may not have been in there). And there's the issue that Lebanons' stance on Hizullah was not the topic of the article, hence they may have missed the second thing as well. But it would have been good had it been there, I agree.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

i am beging to seriously wonder WHEN the **** the family of the assasinated PM will finaly change thier song.....
                    if we where to have a pole in lebanon for the sunis alone it would mostlikely show that they are in favour of the compleat implimentation of resolutuion 1559....

BTW.... i hate the way the whole of lebanon sudanly started to portray the assainated PM as this saintly figure soon after his demise... HA
                    Last edited by SpiralDragon; 21 November 2005, 12:50.

Comment

OT: i dont know if i should laugh or cry.... http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article....ticle_id=20213

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                        Well, the BBC did say that Hezbollah initiated the fighting.
                        Actually, CNN did so too, but you'd have to read carefully to really see it

I can understand you'd rather have a headline like "Them Islamo-Nazi Hezbollah pigs went on a murdering raid today" (which may not really be that bad a description) but not even Ha'artz ran a headline like that.

But yeah, your two quotes would have added substance to the articles. Assuming they had read the rocket part in the IDF-communique (whihc may or may not have been in there). And there's the issue that Lebanons' stance on Hizullah was not the topic of the article, hence they may have missed the second thing as well. But it would have been good had it been there, I agree.
                        Interesting...

I missed that on my first read through...

I have to admit I skimmed through each pretty quickly.

I've reskimmed both and am surprised to say that the BBC article is actually better in some senses; the BBC is notorious for its blatant anti-Israel reporting style. I don't like how the BBC only attempts to provide context that is anti-Israel.

The CNN article goes several paragraphs before quoting the Israeli side. Hezbollah, a group that's on just about every terrorist list was quoted first. I wonder whether CNN would quote AQ before US Army sources when covering an event in Iraq, etc.

Hmm...

Another point, I've never heard it mentioned before that the Har Dov area was "water rich". TX, SD, have you heard that before? Is it true?

I found this on the net while searching for info on Har Dov: http://www.intelligence.org.il/eng/s...g/feb14_05.pdf

Comment

@schmo... no idea.. but not unlikley... it does explain why the seeba farms are so contested though... do coment on my other posts

Comment

SD, I agree with you that there are a lot of forces at play here.

Word is that Syria is trying to cause trouble so as to deflect international attention.

Debka says that this action was linked to Lebanese Independence Day:
                            DEBKAfile Exclusive: Hizballah planned to seize an Israeli tank and crew to exhibit at the Lebanese Independence Day ceremonies in Beirut Monday Nov. 21.
                            November 21, 2005, 11:08 PM (GMT+02:00)
                            A commando motorbike unit trained for months for the kidnap. Hizballah leader Hassan Nasrallah planned the operation as a demonstration of defiance against Israel and the Siniora government. But instead, Israeli troops liquidated the Hizballah special unit before it could execute the plan.
                            I hope that the Lebanese people show Hezbollah the appropriate level of appreciation for bringing Israeli jets into Lebanese airspace. If the Lebanese government had fully complied with their responsibility of deploying their army along the border then this type of thing wouldn't happen (assuming that they'd prevent Hezbollah from attacking). They say that they won't deploy along the border because Israeli security is not their responsibility. Well, the other side of that coin is that Lebanese security isn't Israel's responsibility...

I've not heard before that the Har Dov area has any resources worth fighting over, but Israel has always maintained that it would be willing to return the land to Syria as part of a comprehensive peace agreement. Syria was trying to cede the land to Lebanon as a way to take that land off the table and demand some further concession from Israel. It's a transparent and juvenile ploy. If the Arab regimes can't act like adults then they should be treated like children.

Comment

the words lebanese and responsibility dont often go well together... lol... sigh....

and i have been saying for ages that the arab regimes are juvenile at best....

the only way lebanon will ever change for the better is if somone puts me as its dictator for about 10 to 20 years.. mouahahahhahaahahaha........

Comment

Working...
                              X