Forget LCD it's all about SED now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget LCD it's all about SED now

Seems like a refinement of CRT technology, with an electron gun(or equivalent) for each pixel.

From Russia with love. (at least that's where I think the research was done).

I wonder if it'll be as easy on the eyes as LCD.. if it is, then it's great! (provided there's no disadvantage of being bombarded by electrons as with conventional CRTs)

Comment

There is no danger of electron bombardment with CRT's. They can hardly penetrate the phosphor much less the glass image tube. They can, however, ionize the face of the image tube and attract dust nicely

The problem lay in what high voltage elctrons do when they hit atoms in the anode: they knock its electrons into higher energy states, and when that energy is released it can be emitted as x-rays (efficiency = ~.05%).

Granted these x-rays are very "soft" (low energy) and stopped by the face of modern tubes, but in older image tubes they did penetrate enough to be measured at the tube face and cause enough concern to warrant regulations that mandated simple shielding.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Theres research being done in several other places also.
        I had some info on this from the last CES. I'll see if there is more stuff about it this time in January.

Comment

It'll oly be an option if the picture is as good as a CRT with less power drain and no phosphor burn-in problems. Oh .. and there could be dead pixel problems too. There are a lot of new techs under development. SXRD just came out to compete with DLP in projection, plus carbon nanotube, diamond, OLED, and various other new takes on the TV/monitor.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
          X