Application sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application sharing

My buddy has a SINGLE license for a SINGLE application. He needs 5 computer to be able to run 5 instances of this application simultaneously. It runs on Windows. How can this be done?

buy 4 more licences?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Har har har. @ $1500 per license, it's not a valid option for him at this time.

Comment

Then he doesn't really need it.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          Then he doesn't really need it.
          that about covers it.
          Murc isn't the place for trying to get answers to that question either.
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

There's no way to set up some kind of application server or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
              that about covers it.
              Murc isn't the place for trying to get answers to that question either.
              Whoa whoa whoa. Everyone relax. He's not looking to go some illegal route here - you're misinterpreting what I meant.

He only wants to INSTALL his one license one one machine. But he needs 5 computers to be able to access this program.

FOR EXAMPLE:

In a Linux environment, 5 users could VNC into one server machine, and each have their own desktop. They could each run their own instance of any program they wanted.

Comment

terminal services?
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                  Whoa whoa whoa. Everyone relax. He's not looking to go some illegal route here - you're misinterpreting what I meant.

He only wants to INSTALL his one license one one machine. But he needs 5 computers to be able to access this program.

FOR EXAMPLE:

In a Linux environment, 5 users could VNC into one server machine, and each have their own desktop. They could each run their own instance of any program they wanted.

Depending on the wording of the licencing arrangement etc, even this idea may not be legal.

That being said, I can only think of the same thing as Sasq....Terminal Services perhaps...
                  ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

If it did turn out to be legal, what would I need in order to run terminal services to the point where each login would have their own desktop, etc, and everything was independent of anyone else who was also logged in at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                      terminal services?
                      not sure of this .. cant test this idea now.. but this used to work with MS Office Programs.

If all the networked PCs are on the same workgroup, just mapped the Server's partition to a drive in the client PC (map network drive) then just make a link to the program you want to run and make sure the startup and working folders are correct.

If there are no misc files installed all over the windows folders, there should be no problem running the program from any of the client PCs
                      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

I can virtually guarantee for you that what you're trying to accomplish is illegal if you expect more than one of those PCs you be using the app at the same time.

I agree with Wombat... and Sasq.
                        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Belwarrior
                          not sure of this .. cant test this idea now.. but this used to work with MS Office Programs.

If all the networked PCs are on the same workgroup, just mapped the Server's partition to a drive in the client PC (map network drive) then just make a link to the program you want to run and make sure the startup and working folders are correct.

If there are no misc files installed all over the windows folders, there should be no problem running the program from any of the client PCs
                          I had a customer do this for Office 97 and Office 2000.

But they still bought separate licenses for each computer running Office.
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Working...
                          X