SpaceDev "shuttle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceDev "shuttle"

Bringing back a "shuttle" in the form of the NASA HL-20 design that was cancelled a few years ago;

Science news and long reads from expert journalists, covering developments in science, technology, health and the environment on the website and the magazine.

Interesting.....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Isn't that what Steve Austin crashed in to necessitate making him the six million dollar man?

Comment

No cigar, but lifting bodies are often quite similar in appearance.

You're thinking of the M2-F2 lifting body tested back in the 60's, which unfortunately it had lateral stability "issues".

Footage of a real 1967 M2-F2 crash-landing due to the stability problem is what was shown at the start of "The 6 Million Dollar Man". The real "Steve Austin" piloting the M2-F2 that day was named Bruce Peterson. He survived his injuries but lost an eye due to a staph infection.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 November 2005, 00:21.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yep, now that I see it, that's definitely the one in the show.

I wonder if they will be able to put more windows in, since this is to be used for space tourism.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          Yep, now that I see it, that's definitely the one in the show.

I wonder if they will be able to put more windows in, since this is to be used for space tourism.
          I'd say more seats would be important for space tourism.

- Steve

Comment

The HL-20 can old up to 10 passengers as envisioned by NASA (it was to be an escape ship for the whole ISS crew), but SpaceDev is planning on reducing this to 6 for their system;

The SpaceDev Dream Chaser(TM) uses the same outer mold line (shape) as the HL-20 Personnel Launch System, but would fly six passengers instead of the HL-20 ten passengers, thus saving weight, which may improve handling. SpaceDev personnel flew an HL-20 simulation in the Vertical Motion Simulator at NASA Ames, and found that landing the SpaceDev Dream Chaser(TM) may be very similar to landing the Shuttle.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 November 2005, 09:47.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Would this be considered a case of two steps forward and one step back?

Kevin

Comment

Depends on your outlook. Many feel that the whole move to spaceplanes for getting people up & down was a matter of overdesign and overexpense of what should have been a simple/cheap process w/capsules. I tend to agree.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Update:

SpaceDev has posted a proposed lunar mission plan based on their modded HL-20. They say they can do it for about 10% of what NASA has budgeted for a lunar return plan.

Announcement;

This website is for sale! spacedev.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, spacedev.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Multimedia page;

This website is for sale! spacedev.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, spacedev.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Amazing to me is their use of an idea from Mercury days: an individual "rocket chair" for lunar landings;

Damn...whatta ride that baby would be

Dr. Mordrid
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 November 2005, 09:22.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hmmm...what for? NASA isn't planning to do another "trip mission" after all...

(oh, and I hope they're planning to use HL-20 only for transport to LEO - it seems to me they do, but it would be awfull waste to do otherwise...)

Comment

Working...
                    X