New computer prob. Freezes for no apparent reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer prob. Freezes for no apparent reason

I've had this fantasy that if I waited long enough, the problem would go away
    Sadly, it hasn't gone away.

Problem: Randomly, my computer will freeze that only a reboot (warm or cold) will resolve.

I finally busted out memtest the other day and ran it for a few hours without any problems. I know, I should run it longer, but I just wanted to check. It happens in 2D and 3D. What is the name of the CPU stress test that everyone uses? I think it runs in windows? Any suggestions on isolating this kind of problem?

I guess I could kill anything that runs on startup, uninstall programs, what else?

Thanks!
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Mostly freezes are caused by a buggy driver and they are hard to determine.

Prime95 is one method to stress test your PC (mainly CPU and memory) but latest versions also have a torture test http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm I also use CPU stabily test but it's old and not developed anymore http://www.majorgeeks.com/download215.html
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
      What is the name of the CPU stress test that everyone uses?
      Windows?

Check if the voltage lines remain stable (usually, the mainboard will have its own application to do so - or there are 3rd party applications like MBM). Also check that the temperatures are normal.

Have you recently installed new hardware, or upgraded drivers?

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I fixed my problem. I formatted the hdd and started over Thanks for the help.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
        X