Is this *the* card to get for MCE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this *the* card to get for MCE?

I'm fed up with my DVB-T performance, and want to get my STB into MCE properly.

So I guess it is time to throw a little money at this. Is the GeForce 6600GT 128MB DVI-I VIVO the one to get for use in an MCE machine? The Gigabyte version is passive It is ~£110-120.

TIA.
    FT.

I have the passive Gigabyte 6600GT, and it's a nice card. However it's in my gaming machine and so has never performed any sort of media centre task. Obviously it's nice and quiet, and doesn't get too hot (however in cramped spaces with no airflow you may run into trouble). Also if it's going into a small case, check there's room - the heatpipes going over the top add an awkward amount to the height - I still managed to fit it into an Antec Aria case though, but had to make sure I was using the shortest DVD drive I had around.

Which DVB-T card were you using out of interest that you aren't happy with? And what exactly is the problem? I haven't gone the freeview route at all yet, having considered it a while ago I never quite got around to getting the hardware.
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Hi G, hope all's ell with you in your new life

My silverstone LC11 case uses a riser, and everything sits upside down. The only place I'd have clearance issues is if anything goes over the back of the card, which is very close to the bottom of the case, IYSWIM.

The DVB card is a Compro DVB-T300. Not bad in itself (although sometimes MCE doesn't see it, but I don't think that is the card's it's fault) but reception around here is wierd. I have upgraded my aerial from a short loft aerial to a decent external aerial on a mast (and no, I didn't enjoy re-orienting that on top of a long rickety wooden ladder this morning ) and installed an amplifier. Also, MCE doesn't seem to put the guide listings to the channels properly, and everytime I tweak (or sometimes even if I don't) I have to add the guide data to the channels manually.

I need a new GFX card to get VIVO that MCE supports so I can pipe the STB in. My 9205 has VIVO, but MCE doesn't support older than 9550.
      FT.

Comment

Everythings fine thanks Tony, if a little busy (hence my rather reduced presence around here ).

Possibly the 6600GT may be overpowered (in a 3D sense) for what you need (unless you game on it occasionally)...

I see the card ends up horizontal in that silverstone case - so you should be fine. If it was fully upside-down (ie hanging) then there might be issues with the heatpipes. However, looking on their website, it appears that the gfx card ends up nearly flush with the bottom of the case - in which case the sheer bulk of the fins (which are on both sides of the card) might be an issue.

Comment

That is what I feared. How far do the fins project from the rear of the card?
          FT.

Comment

Tony - about 12 to 20mm both sides of the card. Towards the 15mm end on the back side, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with much less than 18mm of space.

Comment

That's a bit more than the 3mm have to play with. Ahh well. Thanks for checking.
              FT.

Comment

Working...
              X