Mac OS X Network Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OS X Network Problem

My girlfriend lives several hundred miles away from me and uses a new install of OS 10.4 on her laptop; I have Linux and can't remember all the stuff that opens up, so been trying to talk her through troubleshooting.

The problem is that the ethernet works when she is at her apartment but when she goes to her friend's office (3 people work there, no IT) Network in Sys Prefs says the cable is plugged in but cannot get an IP Address. Other computers at the office work and she used to be able to connect before upgrading to Tiger. If it was my network I'd go ahead and restart the router/dsl modem, but I don't want to futz up their network accidently.

Any tips on getting this thing to connect?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Is it configured to use DHCP? And she could always try to renew here DHCP lease?
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
    X