Really need help please!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really need help please!!

Hopefully some can help? PLEASE!! Installed my new G400-TV, all was fine. Decided to update and install the prefered powerdesk 5.41 and Video Tools 1.52. Used the matrox unistall method. Rebooted pointed Windows towards my drivers, rebooted and was hit with a Windows protection error. So thought it may be an artefact from my old ATI drivers that I was 100% sure I removed cleanly using regedit at al. So did a fresh install on Win 98 (1st ed), this time used just pd 5.41 again Win protection error! The only way to get windows booting up is to use the old drivers powderdisk 5.25 and vid tools 1.51.

also tried a capture fro the TV tuner with the pd 5.25 and VT 1.51, brilliant picture but no sound whatsoever?? What I am I doing wrong!??! Any help would be appreciated. Heres my system details:
    Athlon 700MHZ
    256 Ram
    Via Appollo KX 133 chipset (with via 1 in 4 update)
    Creative Soundblaster Live
    Maxtor 30 gig UDMA66

Fixed the sound issue, but any help on the Windows protection error would be appreciated.

Comment

Did you use the Matrox uninstall Utility or do it by hand ?

Comment

I used the Matrox uninstall utility first time around, but obviously the second occassion was on a freshly installed Win 98 that had no drivers installed. As soon as I install PD 5.41 and reboot I am faced with Windows Protection Error.

Comment

Hmm

I've never had this prob, although I always revert to windows VGA drivers before uninstalling and then use the matrox "install" rather than pick up the drivers from device manager/change driver or control panel/new hardware

Luckily I see DocM over there on ICQ so I can ask him

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, maybe he can help.

Comment

Questions;

1. is it ver. 4.25 of 4-in-1?

2. is G400 sharing an IRQ with SBLive?

3. what version of LiveWire?

4. is BIOS set to assign an IRQ to the video card?

5. there is also an evolving situation with SBL and the VIA chipsets (longstanding) as well as with the 686 southbridge, not all the effects of which are file corruption when copying files.

6. also there are issues with SBLive and ACPI in Win2k.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 04 May 2001).]

Comment

Yes it's vers. 4.25 of 4-in-1.
                Surprisingly the SB Live isnt sharing IRQ with the G400. I cant believe it myself!!
                And I think its live ware 1.51. I know its not the update, because that caused me all sorts of troubles.
                As for the bios not sure? Can check later but still enocding a big file for now!
                But like I said the earlier Powerdesk 1.52 works fine, but even with an absolutely clean install, Powerdesk 5.41 just leaves me with this error? Also what version of Direct X is optimal with PD 5.41?

Comment

The VIA 4-in-1 is now up to 4.29 for release and 4.30 for the beta. You might consider updating. Check here;

http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1

Also most users that have oddball problems in SBLive systems should at least try running without LiveWire installed at all and with the ISA emulation turned off in Device Manager. Just run with the basic drivers. LiveWire 1.51 is buggy as hell.

What brand/model mainboard are you using?

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 04 May 2001).]

Comment

Hi DRM,
                    I am using an ABIT KA7-100. As for live ware, can it be disabled or do you need to remove it?

Maybe a newer Powerdesk and video tools would work, what is the best alternative to PD 5.41???

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Dr. M,
                      I am using an ABIT KA7-100. As for live ware, can it be disabled or do you need to remove it?
                      Maybe a newer Powerdesk and video tools would work, what is the best alternative to PD 5.41???

Thanks.

Comment

Please????

Comment

Anyone??????

Comment

Update!

Tried all sorts of changes suggested, still no joy. But have noticed something odd and this may be the cause of my problems? Maybe not?
                            Anyway, go through the Matrox uninstall procedure reboot, then run setup for 1.52. Then reboot, same Win protection error. However go into Windows in Safe Mode and look and the driver display details; it states the drivers are for a G200??

I noticed in the MGAFOLD folder it contains both G200 + G400 drivers.

Is this the cause of my problem????
                            If so, how do I overcome it????
                            After all it is installed by the 1.52 set up.
                            Anyone got an idea?? PLEASE!!!!

Comment

Have you tried deleting all the files in your c:\windows\temp folder before reinstalling?

Sometimes you can get an out of date version of a setup file in there and things will go nutzy.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X