Virtual Desktop??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Desktop??

A buddy of mine is just starting a new business. He told me about how he can go through his "My Computer" or "Network Neighborhood" icon to somehow connect to his accountant's computer. When he does, his desktop is taken over by some kind of virtual desktop that has nothing on it but an icon for Quickbooks or something.

He'd like me to help him set up a server at his place so he could connect to it remotely, just as he does to his accountant. This does NOT sound like it's a VNC/Remote Desktop session from how he described it.

Does anyone know what it is, and what requirements it has?

you can do that with hamachi

I am streaming MP3's from my home computer through network neighborhood
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Would you mind making me a limted account on one of your servers so I can play around with it?

Comment

Sounds more like Citrix to me, although I've never heard of it being launched that way... weird.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
          Would you mind making me a limted account on one of your servers so I can play around with it?
          check your PM's I have made you a small toy account

Comment

@tjalfe - Well, I tried connecting to it via two different machines now. I can join your network and see two machines (cheetahome and some .112 machine). My user/pass doesn't work for the cheetahome, and while it DOES work for the .112 machine, I can see the shares (c, d, and kooldino) but I can't actually open them.

Assuming I was successful in connecting...would I just see a standard windows share as if we were on the same LAN?

If so, that's cool and definitely useful, but it's not exactly what my friend is looking for.

Comment

you would indeed see the shares as if on the same lan.. I thought that is what you were looking for, as you mentioned you would want to connect through network neighborhood

Comment

Yeah, he said this was more along the lines of what sounded like logging in remotely to say...a linux box and having your own desktop. Except instead of logging into linux, he logged into a windows box.

No harm done though, it was definitely worth the time investment to check out that program. It will definitely come in handy someday.

Does anyone else have any ideas on what it could have been?

Comment

You sure he is not usng the built in remote control software with XP? Or going through MSN Messenger to use the remote control software?
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
                  X