This pisses me off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This pisses me off

SF voted to ban all guns in homes and businesses. On top of that, you are required to turn in your guns by April 1st. This is complete and utter bullshit.

Now, I tend to be more on the left side but this is crap! Like this is going to stop criminals It'll just give the criminals a bigger advantadge. It will also turn some folks, who are otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals because I guarantee you their will be some who will now buy guns illegaly.

Thankfully the NRA has already sued the crap out of this bullshit measure, and rightfully so.

Last edited by Helevitia; 9 November 2005, 12:31. Reason: Forgot the link
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

It is a stupid move. Even if you get the full RRP back when you hand the gun in.

There are better ways to tackle criminals.

Comment

hmm... I would think that his is unconstitutional. Isn't the "right to bear arms' in there somewhere?

PS Politically speaking, SF seems to have gone really looney left lately.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
        hmm... I would think that his is unconstitutional. Isn't the "right to bear arms' in there somewhere?

PS Politically speaking, SF seems to have gone really looney left lately.
        Yes, there is a right to bear arms, but not any and all arms. This is a <I>handgun</I> ban, rifles and whatnot (as would suit a militia) are allowed.

This ban will probably stand. D.C. and Chicago already have handgun bans.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I take it then that D.C. and Chicago are paragons of handgun-free crime?
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
            ...PS Politically speaking, SF seems to have gone really looney left lately.
            Where have you been for the last fourty years?

PS And I a self described liberal saying that.
            Wait till Doc chimes in.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I don't have to. You guys are doing just fine

As for unconstitutional: yup....most likely.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The thing that bugs me about this is that not everyone uses their handguns for crime and/or home protection. I grew up with 3 guns in the house (.9 mm Browning handgun, .22 Remington rifle, and a 306 ... don't remember who made it). None of the weapons were used for home protection ... or crime. We did range shooting.

Once or twice a year my Dad would buy some ammo and take the boys out to range shoot at a county run range. He wasn't training us to hunt, or kill, or any such nonesense ... we just liked range shooting for sport.

So does this measure force people who range shoot for sport to turn in their guns?

I say make the fine for possesing an unregistered handgun higher, and then add in automatic jail time for it would be a smarter first step. Outlawing handguns in a single city will do little, as a criminal can just go to a neighboring city and buy the gun and the import it back to SF.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It probably is constitutional.
                  You just store your guns in a locker at the range.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    So does this measure force people who range shoot for sport to turn in their guns?
                    From what I've heard, the handgun. You could keep the rifle.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wait, you can't even own a gun with a license of some sort?
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

last I checked in Oz, the rule is rifles in a locker, ammo in a safe, and hand guns are stored at the range. You are allowed to take the hand guns home if your going somewhere for a competition etc.
                        But there is a paperwork trail for that.
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

for home /store defence, is a shotgun not more effective than a handgun anyways?
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

A large bore shotgun (10 or 12 guage) is, simply put, the most deadly short range weapon short of a hand grenade at arms length.

This is well known to most that have any firearms experience, so much so that just one look at that huge hole pointing at them will most often result in immediate surrender.

Speaking from personal experience on the shooting end: with the proper load it'll blow a 12" (.3 meter) pattern through anything made of flesh, nearly liquifying everything in its path. Torso hits at close range are about 90+ % lethal. Head hits can result in decapitation.

Shotguns can also completely remove limbs, turning what would be a flesh wound with a pistol or rifle into a life threatening injury. Put in a the right kind of solid projectile and one can shatter engine blocks, drop bears and wild pigs with one shot etc. etc.

For defense use I recommend #4 or #6 shot (~200 pellets or 1.5oz of shot @ 1300 fps) in a scatter load for the first 1-2 shots. It's less likely to penetrate an exterior wall and present a danger to those outside while still being able to make mincemeat of an intruder with one shot and little aiming.

My father had his own recipe for a non-lethal short range round: a mixed load of #9 bird shot (small pellets), rock salt and a few triangular window glazing nails.

Ouch

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 November 2005, 20:19.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

i agree with the bull shit of it all.
                              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                              X