No announcement yet.

IE 7 beta doesn´t display .png images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 7 beta doesn´t display .png images?

Here´s a screenshot of a web page rendered on IE 7 beta and Firefox 1.5 RC1.

For some reason, IE couldn´t display the .png images, while Firefox doesn´t. Any ideas?

I would have thought that after 10 years of development i would have been able to print a web page and it wouldnt chop the right hand side off text.

Comment

With IE 6, to display a PNG properly (ie, render the alpha channel correctly) you have to use a filter.

This causes no end of frustration because FireFox handles PNG natively and every web designer has their own pet technique for sending the appropriate CSS to the browser (FireFox doesn't work with the filter technique so you have to send different CSS to each browser).

One of the big expectations is that IE 7 will support PNG natively. I've heard this so many times that people just state it as if it were fact. My guess as to why IE 7 beta doesn't support PNG yet is that they are still working on that part of the implementation.

Remember, it's called BETA for a reason.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Here it's also called "not installed", even after release

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

IE 7.0 Beta has PNG transparancy support http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngs-img-ie7w32.html

Altough it's still buggy offcourse but we can't complain it's still a beta and at least it has PNG support after so many years.
          Last edited by KeiFront; 9 November 2005, 13:33.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

IE supports PNG's and has for some time, it's the transparent variety that it requires the filter for. This seems to be a problem with displaying PNG's in any form; as IE will still display transparent ones, just with the transparent portions filled in (usually in gray).
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I actually wasn´t aware of that. It seems that it doesn´t happen with all .png images, those on http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2589&p=8 are displayed without problems.

Point is, why did anandtech.com got an article online that doesn´t display correctly on IE? So much for the webmaster...

Comment

I'm sure IE 6 displays it just fine.

There are a lot of options for PNG files. It's like you get all the features of a GIF and all the features of a JPG in one.

I'm sure that anand just implements their PNGs differently and by random coincidence, one way works better than another for the current beta of IE 7.
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

And could someone with IE 6 try if it displays correctly?

Comment

Looks OK to me.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ok, so it´s definitly a IE 7 beta bug...

Comment

Working...
                      X