Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400, DivX, Microsoft Codec 8 wmv, virtualdub

My config : PowerDesk 5.55 with VidTool 1.52 (YUV patch) and Win98SE

I captured a video with PC-VCR and after I used Premiere 5.1 to convert the file to DivX alpha 3.11
    When I played the file with Windows Media Player, the video is fine on the monitor and also on the television (full screen).
    I used the new Windows Media 8 utility to convert the file, I obtained a new video file with the wmv extension. I was quite impressed because the size was 25% smaller than the DivX file.
    When I played the file, the video was ok on the monitor but not on the Television.
    I tryed to convert this wmv file to an avi file, and I did not succeed. I tryed VirtualDub 1.4d and it's not working (the ASF format is no longer supported). I tryed VirtualDub 1.3c and it said "couldn't locate the decompressor for format wmv2". If I'm using TMPEG encoder beta12 (version 12 or 12e) the 12e hang and blocked the computer, the 12 version give me an avi file in which 50% of the sound is missing. I tryed to decompressed the video only at first (avi file) and the sound only in a second time (wav file), but the wav file is still corrupted with a lot of missing sound.
    Does anyone know how to convert a wmv file (codec 8) in something, or is it a new trick from microsoft to oblige everybody to use only this format ?

wmv8 is a new version and the virtualdub that could open asf's up isn't made to open version 8 as asf's are v7.

you could try total recorder to capture the audio but that is 1:1 time which sucks.
    --
    TJ

Comment

Rename the .wmv to .asf and give virtualdub 1.3c a try again. I've heard it works.

Prospero

Comment

I tryed Total Recorder, but it destroy my config and create a very bad noise background with my sound card. I can capture the sound with Sound Forge 4.5 but I'd prefer a 100% digital solution.
        Thanks for the explanation concerning ASF, WMV7 & WMV8

Comment

IF your main concern for using WM8 is to reduce the final size of the video file, why don´t iu give a chance to Nandub? Nandub is a modified port of Virtual Dub with something similar to Variable Bit Rate control like Microsoft´s WM8,called Smart Bit Rate, but using DivX codec. I can tell ya that the final size will be smaller and the quality a year away from the original DivX fixed rate . If iu get to understand the proggie iu can even use a higher averaged bit rate achieving more quality!
          Visit http://go.to/doom9 for info on this subject

Comment

No, this work only for WMV 7 , but not for the new WMV 8 codec from Microsoft.

Comment

If you are re-encoding the original file then I would suggest nandub as well. If you are recompressing a 3rd generation then your quality is just going to be lousy. Nandub is the best option for Div-x right now, I have looked at it and must agree that it is quite impressive.
              WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

is there an example vcf file that i could get to see how this proggy works.

also, how about a proggy like fairuse with which you can enter the final output size, but that's only for dvd's.
                --
                TJ

Comment

Well, mrtj1 , the vcd will mostly depend on the target iu wanna aqquire, that is, there´s a world of a difference between the params used for a 1 cd and a 2 cd rip. If iu want I can post one sample of each, the ones I´ve proved throughtly with some success. Or I can send iu by e-mail, iu choose.
                  But, IMH, i´d read through all the faqs and guides in Doom9, iu can learn a lot of the insides of the DivX codec and learn how it actually works. That will definitely take iu to the best params for your video.

Comment

i dont want to create a vcd, i dont have a standalone dvd player so i dont see the need to waste quality and space with vcd. what i do is convert the mjpeg i cap to divx. 2 x 43 min eps per cd (740mb data - 370 per ep). the quality of around 1150 low motion is good but with something like dark angel there is still some distortion on high motion scenes. i tried nandub before but the output is completely low motion only.

can you help me with this please?

[This message has been edited by mrtj1 (edited 03 May 2001).]
                    --
                    TJ

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion, I 'll have a look. But I still thinking that a soft able to convert a wmv 8 to something else will be usefull, except if nobody is using this codec (I have some doubt).

Comment

Oppps sorry I meant vcf not vcd ( what was I thinking of? )
                        Now back to the stuff, the problem iu had with Nandub not using Fast Motion codec is in the Motion Detection menu: iu have to put the slider at , lets say, 280. That means the Fast Mtion codec will kick in once motion reaches that point. Then iu have to go to Compression Levels and set the first line with motion level to 280, with a minimum and maximum between 7x - 16x ( iu choose , that´s what Fast codec uses by default ). Them head up to the night-encoding-two-passes-run and see the result.
                        Tell us about it when finished, ok?

Comment

Working...
                        X