Tornados Rip Through The Tri-State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tornados Rip Through The Tri-State

A state of emergency has been decleared in Warrwick County, Indiana after a tornado struck southern Indiana and northern Kentucky about 1:30 this morning. Sheriff Marvin Heilman says four are confirmed dead in Boonville. The sheriff says a family of three was killed when the tornado hit their modular home. The sheriff also says a teenager was killed in Newberg. The sheriff says the bodies of the family were found some distance from their home. Emergency workers are currently going door-to-door and street-to-street looking for victims in the county of 57-thousand residents.

www.lizziemorrison.com

the strange thing was last night around 9pm i was on the phone with a friend and i said "were going to get a tornado tonight, im not sure where..but its going to happen" and at that time all we were having was just a light breezy wind.

then i woke up around 3am and said to myself holy shit i was right. but then made myself go to sleep after about 20 minutes of staying up saying to myself "get a grip liz, tornados dont happen in November. "
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Five years ago on November 1 we had tornados come through town and cause a lot of relatively minor property damage. I saw one cross the avenue just a few blocks ahead of me and thought it was just a particularly powerful dust-devil until I looked up and saw a definite funnel extending from the cloud-base. What was especially unusual in addition to the time of year is that these tornados were moving from east to west, instead of west to east as they usually do.

Then that evening my brother in law in Wyoming called in a panic wondering if anyone was dead! He'd been trying to get through all day without success. All of the long distance lines were jammed solid, although local phone service was more or less unaffected. All in all one of the freakier days in recent memory.

Kevin

Comment

Lived with/around tornados all my life because they are endemic to the midwest plus they tended to hit our (mostly farming) area like it had a bullseye painted on it.

All you can do is either take shelter in a basement or get the hell out of the way, which can be hard if the tornado is a "Bouncing Betty" that jumps up & down in all directions.

No other options suffice in the face of 300+ mph winds spanning up to a mile across in an F5 storm. I've seen F5's a lot closer than I'd like to have and believe me it's a scary-as-hell sight to see one pick up a timber framed barn, shread it into toothpicks then drop it a mile away.

BTW:

heard a weather talking head this morning say that while the Fujita scale only goes up to an F5 some meteorologists privately classify the Oaklahoma tornado of a few years ago as an F12 with core winds of up to 500 mph.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 November 2005, 12:19.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X