X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ahh sweet revenge

i built my freind a $2,500 editing computer

1X Antec 3800BK Black Mid Tower 400W for $148.00

1X Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz -F -2MB - 800MHz - LGA775 Original Boxed - for $226.00

1X Intel D945PVSLKR w/Sound+SATA+Firewire+Lan& PCI Express for $139.00

1X Seagate 80GB 7200RPM S-ATAII Hard Drive - IDE for $69.00 ( Seagate 80GB SATA is now out of stock )

2X Seagate 200GB 7200RPM S-ATA Hard Drive for $216.00

4X Kingston 512MB PC-4200 DDR2-533MHz for $220.00

1X Pioneer DVR-110/10 16X DVDRW - Dual Layer Black for $75.00 ( Teac is now out of stock )

1X Inno3D Geforce PCX 6600 256MB w/TV-OUT for $148.00 (was going to get him a P650 PCI-e but they where out of stock so we seteled for less )

2x viewsonic 17' LCDs 8ms ones

and a pair of referance audio monitors from M-audio

this freind is my students as well.. i thought him all about editing and using avid not just a s a user but also as a creative person...

ok my computer is a few yrs old... still running on an 865 MBD with a 2GHz PIV with 400 FSB and 1 GB of DDR 400.. and my trusty matrox G550

well i did all of this for free (he paid for the parts... i got them and put the damnd thing together)

he works at a TV station here .. he is an Assistant Producer.... so he was in one of the waerhouses and he saw an original Avid costomised Keyboard ... which i didnt get to see untill mutch later... so the people there said he can have it since they had no particualr use forit and it was just lying there... he was gloting how his KBD was original and mine was from a third party (well his turned out to be mayde by compaq lol)

any way as a joke i told him that since this is his first real computer that he had better give it to me and take mine instead beacuse he will simply screw it up ... and its better to screw up something old and let the pro work on the good machine... ... ofcourse he declined... his GF was over here when i was handing him the PC... he was still gloating about the KBD.. i took her aside and said that the KBD is not going to work and that the computer is not going to last more than 24hrs befor he brakes something in it......

off they whent....

in 2 hours.. lo and behold.. i get a phone call from him.. the KBD is not working.. he brings it over.. i discover its not an AVID original and try to explain that to him... he dosent get it... i open it up and i see that the cirutry is all fried up... so the KBD is dead... off he goes and gets a regular KBD... ....

next mornig... i get another call from him.... lo and behold... he cant see anything on his monitors.......?!?!?

he comes to pick me up and tells me he was trying to set up a screen saver and did something where it indicated that the "monitor" was getting bigger and then he pressed ok and he couldnt see anything to he kept on pressing the butuns on his kbd but nothing hapened..... i cracked up laughing.......

aperently.... he was trying to get the DESCKTOP WALLPAPER to strech to the boundries across insted of bing this one small pic in between the two monitors.... he calls the descktop wall paper the "scereen saver" ... what does he do... he goes to the display properties nad takes the resolution up all the way to the end... the resolution is now beyond the limits of the LCDs so he gets no Image.... what i cant figure out is what he did to circumvent the 15 sec. timout that returns him to normal if he dosent hit OK.... ..... must have been all those votons he franticly pressed..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

cant wait for him to **** up again ....
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Hmmm...I always liked how these keyboards look. They have this "workstation feel" attached to them

He probably just hit tab or on of the arrows and confirmed...BTW, IMHO force him somehow to learn, because right now I have a feeling he has no incencitive to do so. He can always call you after all...
    Too bad it's a friend, you can't ridicule him, you have to come up with something else

PS. Oh, and how/where we could see your works?
    Last edited by Nowhere; 6 November 2005, 03:58.

Comment

Well, I'v had just about enough with my dear wife hogging my computer, so I went forward and purchased a brand new (semi) gaming computer for her so mine will be left in peace (and in one piece).

ANTEC SONATA with 380 Watt PSU
      ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
      AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 Venice
      2 x GeIL DDR PC-3200 / 400MHz / 512 MB
      Leadtek Geforce FX6600LE 256Mb Retail SLI READY
      Sony SDMHS95PS 19" LCD
      WD 160 GB Serial ATA II
      Nec DVDRW Black
      Logitech MXâ„¢510 Performance Optical Mouse - Blue
      Logitech Media keyboard.

She's happy now and so am I

p.s.
      If you wonder what my rig is, it's an athlon xp 1800, geforce 5600U, 1gig ram etc.
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

TransformX, why didn't you swap them?

Comment

Dammit, you guys are making me hungry! Time for an upgrade, I guess, although I think I'll take a pass on the kind of system I assembled for my son...

AMD Athlon64 3200+
          Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 SATA RAID (piece of junk if you ask me...BIOS probs up the wazzoo)
          1 GB PC400 RAM (can't use dual-channel til he gets another stick)
          nVidia GeForce 256 MB AGP vidcard
          Cheap, no-name (but VERY flashy) case with 450 Watt PS

So after I get everything set up and the OS's (Win2k & Win98SE dual-boot) installed and turn it over, what does he do? WIPES EVERYTHING and re-installs! Damn kids...

Kevin

Comment

That system deserves WinXP SP2. It screams on the A64, esp. the 3800+ X2 dual core I'm running now. The ATI chipset/MSI mainboard is also very nice & quite stable.

I wouldn't touch another Gigabyte mainboard though. Had problems with the memory slot data lines frying and taking the memory card with it. Twice. Makes me think they're using lousy voltage regulators.

Tip: I have my kids WinXP installation Ghosted to a DVD-RAM and an external backup HDD just for such occaisions

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 November 2005, 12:32.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
              TransformX, why didn't you swap them?
              a. She's playing more than I do and the computer was for her
              b. Do you know what kind of logistics it takes moving all my stuff (read: pr0n) ?
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ
                Dammit, you guys are making me hungry! Time for an upgrade, I guess, although I think I'll take a pass on the kind of system I assembled for my son...

AMD Athlon64 3200+
                Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 SATA RAID (piece of junk if you ask me...BIOS probs up the wazzoo)
                1 GB PC400 RAM (can't use dual-channel til he gets another stick)
                nVidia GeForce 256 MB AGP vidcard
                Cheap, no-name (but VERY flashy) case with 450 Watt PS

So after I get everything set up and the OS's (Win2k & Win98SE dual-boot) installed and turn it over, what does he do? WIPES EVERYTHING and re-installs! Damn kids...

Kevin
                Does Windows 98SE run OK by default on an Athlon64, or do you need to install CPU drivers? And yeah, such a system is a real shame to be run on anything other than XP...4 years have given it a lot of maturity.

Did a little upgrade as well over the past month...got a 17'' Samsung 713N LCD and an ASUS GeForce 6600GT, ditching my Parhelia after 3 years of loyal service. Funnily enough, the decider was FIFA2006, which I couldn't run on the Parhelia...been playing FIFA since the WC98 version, so this was unacceptable I also really like MCE2005, which is really fun to control from the comfort of one's bed.
                All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Win98SE seems to be doing fine without doing anything special, although the high-speed network adaptor doesn't have any Win9x drivers so it's disabled. Problem is, the kid is such a luddite I had to practically shame him into trying out Win2k. If I had any money to bet, I'd put it all on his running on the Win98 partition at this moment. At least he's promised that he'll try the XP x64 OS as soon as he can afford a copy. Unless he's downloading a pirate copy right now... :/

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                  X