Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA makes a statement on SBLive

FYI,
    For those interested in the SBLive and VIA saga, you should take a look at the article on VIA Hardware called 'VIA says not their fault.'

In case you do not know, VIA Hardware's site is:
    http://www.viahardware.com

The odd thing is that so many hw sites have reported that the bug is replicable with high PCI load but _without_ SBlive. They probably don't want to admit their problems.

Anyway, let's wait and see what their new IDE driver does once it's released.

Neko

Comment

I keep having this image in my head of two little kids, pointing at each other and screaming at the top of their lungs:

"HE DID IT!!"

My Dad would have grabbed a switch off the weeping willow

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by KuroNeko:
        The odd thing is that so many hw sites have reported that the bug is replicable with high PCI load but _without_ SBlive. They probably don't want to admit their problems.
        </font>
        But then the same thing can be said about the SBLive!: There are actually quite some users with Intel chipsets having problems as well that go away when another (non-Creative) soundcard is installed.

So I guess they both have some problems and those, when used in combination multiply themselves. They (both of them!) better address this soon (OOOPS, I didn't say SOON , I really meant immediately...) or it will hurt their reputation even further.

Joachim

EDIT:
        P.S.: My SBLive works fine here in Win2k on an "evil" VIA/AMD (Duron) combo.

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 02 May 2001).]
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

Ain't that the flippin' truth!! A tape of them locked in the same room would be priceless

Now a bit of background:

Back when the SBLive first came out I was involved in a beta where SBLive issues came up in a big way. What was found out is that the SBLive hits the system timer interrupt CONSTANTLY.

Why it does this Creative would never say, but it likely accounts for much of its inability to coexist with some other devices and/or systems.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 03 May 2001).]

Comment

Yes, the intensive IRQ usage, CPU usage, is typical for SB.
            Look at this for a comparison with the TB Santa Cruz:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardwa...cruz/page5.asp

and compare this:

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardwa...go2r/page3.asp

Now, a question:
            I'm unable to find a local seller of the TB SC, only the Turtle Beach Montego II.
            Is the Montego II good enough for video/audio editing? (on a medium, not Pro. level)
            How is TB Montego II vs. SB Live ?

Fred H

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 03 May 2001).]
            It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
            ------------------------------------------------

Comment

In Europe the Santa Cruz is sold under a different name. Look for the Videologic Sonic Fury.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 04 May 2001).]

Comment

What I would give to be a fly on the wall in some of the tech sessions at Creative and VIA right now

Comment

afaik, Videologic (imation technologies?) is a sompletely different company then Turtle Beach... they just happen to both make a soundcard with the same chipset

Comment

VideoLogic Sonic Fury and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz are the same card. Not only by using the same chip but also in design. TB and VL have an agreement. VL sells TB soundcards in Europe and TB sells VL speakers in America or something like that.

------------------
                    Live long and prosper!
                    Live long and prosper!

Comment

That's the deal alright. The box and the software bundle are the only differences. Otherwise they're the same card.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                      X