Color -> B&W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color -> B&W

Allright, I've had a bit fun with one digital camera...but it doesn't have grayscale mode and some pictures would be better with it :/
    And converting...uhmm, it doesn't look exactly like I'd want to, there is something different in B&W negative than simply converting...
    Is there a tool specifically for this, to mimick output of true analogue B&W film?
    Yes, i know the type of digital camera. (besides...EXIF)

Is there also something like that to convert from color negatives? (sometimes simply one would run out of film and it turns out it's impossible to buy one nearby or...it's better to spend extra money on wine ). Yes, I also know which negatives were used.

Don't worry if you camera does not have B&W mode. they usually don't do it right way.

I use Photoshop and it's Gradient Map (Image -> Adjustments) to convert image B&W properly. It does preserve image dynamics better than using just mode -> greyscale or camera's own greyscale mode.
    "Dippadai"

Comment

There are many ways to do this in Photoshop, usually involving the channel mixer or layers.

A few links to get you started:

Comment

PhotoImpact does it "right". You just turn the saturation down to zero.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 November 2005, 11:39.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

In my experience, desaturate doesn't look too different from the grayscale mode, and neither look that good on the majority of photos I've tried them on.

Comment

Depends on the source and if the contrast or gamma are adjusted as well. The source because each CCD has its own characteristics. Same goes for the image encoder in the camera.

In most any decent graphics tool you can create macros of whatever adjustments you find work for later reuse. Both PhotoImpact and Photoshop can do 'em.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X