Wow, Dell now selling AMD processors!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, Dell now selling AMD processors!

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

hm... wonder if its time to watch out for low flying pigs?
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The big question is ... will they start putting them into their computers?
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I wonder if they are calling them 'Advanced Micro Devices' so that peopl don't realise what they are....
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I don't get it. They're only selling the cpus? Not systems? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. There's usually very little mark up on bare CPUs and I'm sure that there'd be lots of tech support required for the type of people who'd buy such parts from Dell.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

A cynical person may say intel gave them the ok to sell some token AMD items to lesson the effect the of AMD legal accusations.

Comment

You wouldn't be that cynical person, would you?
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

How would that be cynical? Had you thought about this two months ago and told Intel, you'd have been paid a nice sum of money.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I compared two of the processor prices to Newegg's, and one was 7% higher and the other 10% lower. With the right Dell coupons, this could be a great place to buy.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                    I don't get it. They're only selling the cpus? Not systems? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. There's usually very little mark up on bare CPUs and I'm sure that there'd be lots of tech support required for the type of people who'd buy such parts from Dell.
                    I think they do sell some AMD machines to their corporate clients (but not generally available from their website), so these may actually be usable in some Dell(R) machines.

- Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X