Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Politicall correcntess taken to its limits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politicall correcntess taken to its limits...

Just heard that in the radio (so no other sources, sorry): apparently in UK there's some debate about what policemen should do if they face the possibility of road chasing somebody and how much they are liable if the chased one dies (the whole thing provoked by death of 4 young people who were escaping police car and crashed). The whole thing fuelled also by the statistic from California showing that some significant number of people who died this way were innocent.

WTF?! It's your choice if you're stupid enough to trying to escape, especially if you hadn't do anything

No one cares if the "runner" gets mangled, but it's not them causing the concern. The fuss is over the number of innocent bystanders and other drivers who are getting killed, and that number is massively excessive.

Here in Detroit we had such a chase kill several innocents for the sake of catching a driver whose plates had expired. Not good.

The best way to handle most pursuits is with helicopters and and roadblocks. Once the perp is ID'd the chopper can follow them to the ends of the Earth without provoking them into a sprint.

The street cops follow by passing on the pursuit by radio as it progresses until they can either toss a spike strip in front of the car or they stop on their own. In either cawe they're toast..

Nevertheless some high speed pursuits are indicated and the risks are what they are, but these events must be minimized and not used for every single evader with outstanding traffic tickets.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 29 October 2005, 07:35.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

No no, the news I've heard was solely about the ones who run...about "those poor 4 kids that were escaping" and "some percent of the ones who escaping in CA, and kill themselves, beeing innocent"

Other than that I agree that bystanders are in serious threat if pursuit is not performed correctly... (hmm...police here probably doesn't have enough choppers :/ )

Comment

This isn't as bad as the burglar who hurt himself falling through a skylight (his point of entry) and then had the nerve to sue the owner of the home he was breaking into.. and WON! Another triumph of British courtesy at the expense of sense.

Comment

Not just a British legal fiasco.....we have far more than our share of such nonsense.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X