Dvd+/-r?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvd+/-r?

Is there any difference at all? (in the sense: can one be more recommended than other) All drives (all 3...) with which I'll come in contact claims they support both...

off the top of my head... DVD-R is the offical product of the DVD Forum and has a pre-written control data block. DVD+R is loosely evolved from the CD-RW format and writes the control data block when you burn the disk.

it used to be that by changing the book type contained in the data control block you could make the disk report itself as a pressed DVD disk, fooling players that might otherwise be incompatable.

there are other physical differences... DVD+R seems to be a more robust standard, but i don't think that most people would notice a difference...
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

- blanks are usually cheaper

Comment

It all boils down to which your drive and player like better. Although all drives CLAIM to support both, in reality each drive has its own preferred media type. Liteon drives, for example, are relatively useless at burning -R and really prefer +R. At least the slightly older ones do (I have an 8x with dual-layer mod, so I'm running behind by a year), they might have gotten a bit better recently.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Uh huh...so, even thought I've found for example this technical analysis , which claims "+" to be technically better (at least potentially), it all boils down to pragmatic side of things?...

OK...in that case: I'll come in contact primarily with discs burned on quite recent LiteON and somehow recent TDK (although I'm not sure about that one really...), they will have to be read by last 16x LG DVD-ROM.
          Oh, and there's no difference in prices basically (less than one cent), and I'll be choosing primarily cheap media, but not the cheapest - something like Esperanza, Dysan, perhaps Verbatim...
          Last edited by Nowhere; 29 October 2005, 06:58.

Comment

My experience;

DVD+R is slightly cheaper

DVD-R is slightly more compatable with older decks (esp. > 2-3 years old)

With newer decks it matters not.

With very old decks (made ~2001 and before) recordable media of either type is iffy at best.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X