Trouble with Scan.co.uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Scan.co.uk

Well Scan have gone into ignore mode after leaving a voicemail saying ring them which they never answer of course.

Brief reminder that I bought a Motherboard and CPU from them and after a few weeks it started freezing at randomn intervals. I then started a long period of trouble shooting removing the other hardware bit by bit until the blame could be placed on either the CPU or the Motherboard. All the old stuff is in a new machine which has been working 24hr a day for about eight weeks now. Doesn't leave much room for doubt to be honest.

Anyway I checked online what the status was. I've made a note and replied to them today.
    Scan engineer is in bold my response in normal text.

“The whole point of us using tools such as Prime95 is so we don't have to test board for weeks so as to get a fault. I have plenty experience in diagnosing hard to find issues - I have yet to see a faulty piece of hardware run 100% for more than an hour or so without showing signs of failure. And I did read the details you provided - thoroughly. As I said then as far as I can tell the Motherboard/CPU are fine.”

The basic rule for testing with Prime 95 is at least 12 hours. I’ve known a machine go 48hrs plus running Prime 95 (I was busy elsewhere doing other jobs) and it didn’t fail.
    Like you I was going to throw the machine back to the Customer as NFF luckily for the customer I had to leave the machine idling for a few hours due to other commitments. I came back to find a frozen machine.

Three hours isn’t really long enough to be 100% sure especially due to the intermittent nature of the fault.

“Leaving the system running for 7 days on 100% load isn't a fair test - a PC will crash randomly for eveyone sooner or later if left for this period under this ammount of stress. If I just want the Motherboard to randomly freeze I can do it without thinking given enough load they will all do it - it doesn't prove for one min that a fault has been faound. Data collection isn't stressing the CPU or Motherboard - you say so yourself. Is is it therefor not reasonable for me to make the suggestion that another piece of Hardware is at fault here? In my mind the I/O of the Hard Disk is more likely to be the problem! Be it IDE/SATA/SCSI or as you state USB. I have no indication in the original RMA that it was being used via USB. I have no doubt in this case that either the USB of the board is at issue or the Hard Disk itself. You have to understand I can only test based on info I am given - and I did.”

If you look back to my emails I said the machine was basically doing nothing except for an upload to the Internet every five minutes I just suggested you leave it doing basically nothing. It never failed during a data transfer which fair enough I didn’t mention.

The I/O port of the board could be a problem as I was using the SATA controller. I swapped cables and ports but the fault remained. I did inform you that all the other parts are now in another System that has been 24 hours a day and has only been rebooted once after a Windows Update installation. This clearly leaves the other hardware fault free as the machine would have failed in Six+ Weeks.

Out of interest I’ve tested the USB device with a known faulty USB cable. This didn’t result in a frozen machine. The Program just reported a missing Weather Station. No lock up or unrecoverable error.

“You also have to understand that we have safety issues involved here that you don't - we aren't supposed to leave systems overnight let alone for weeks, due to fire hazards! Let alone over a weekend unattended. There is also a question of space - all of our benches are in use all the time - I can't use one up for this length of time as other customers require their items to be tested as well. And so I am left with a situation of Hammering the Hardware as much as I can in the time I have.”

I wish that it was stated that your Department didn’t have the resources available to test computer hardware as more sensible approach could have been arranged. Namely arranging a swap out of the Motherboard and CPU.

However as you aware that the new Sales of Goods act stipulates that it’s up to the Company and not the Customer to proof that the goods are not faulty. I have already done weeks of diagnostics hardware removal, swapping before I sent the CPU/Motherboard back to you.

You now leave me with a problem. You state that you cannot test board long enough for the fault to appear unless you’re lucky.

If you ship the board back, FOC because of the above statement it’s likely to fail again and then I have added problem of shipping it back. If that case occurred you would have to refund the original costs of shipping and pay for the new costs incurred as you are legally required to do so in the first place.

It seems the best solution that you just replace the items and ship them back to myself as soon as possible. Please email me at
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Uhm, just ONE hour of testing
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
      Uhm, just ONE hour of testing
      He's the expert. I've got one on the bench at work which is er running all weekend.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        He's the expert.
        ROFL, Expert
        He wouldent last a week at my work with that assitude
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Leaving the system running for 7 days on 100% load isn't a fair test - a PC will crash randomly for eveyone sooner or later if left for this period under this ammount of stress.
          LMAO! This crummy 2 gig Celeron Northwood I use to surf the web and check TV listings for the sports bar here at work has been running LHC@home on it 24/7 for over a month and the only downtime has been from a power outage and windows updates that required rebooting to install.

Comment

Oh, and of course Prime95 is hardly the end-all test of system stability: With my old system I could o/c my Celeron Tualatin 1.2 GHz to 1.4 GHz and it'd run Prime95 without any problems, but Starcraft would crash within seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              “Leaving the system running for 7 days on 100% load isn't a fair test - a PC will crash randomly for eveyone sooner or later if left for this period under this ammount of stress.
              Cobblers.

Most of my PCs have at one stage or another ran overclocked, at 100%CPU usage running Seti@Home for weeks on end with no issues.
              My Shuttle SK41 ran a Duron 1800@143fsb with Xp Pro, Winroute, SetiQueue, Zonealarm, McAfee's AV, Netmedic, Motherboard Monitor, a USB Camera doing motion sensitive webcaptures, DivX5 compression and Emailing them to my works address AND Seti@Home at the same time.
              100% CPU utilisation 24/7
              Longest uptime between manual, voluntary reboots was well over 3 months.
              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Scan "CLAIM" to have runmore tests but couldn't tell me what. So at the moment I've got no choice but too believe them.

I'm having shipped to my work address making sure that PC Maintance is in the address. That'll make them go mmm a little.

I'll slap it in one of the work machines there and leave 24 hr as I don't care if if crashes while I work. If it fails Lee will get his ass ripped apart.

My basic advice is for anyone not too use this company. They did briefly improve but look they've got back to sucky best. Looks like they've thrown a few grands worth of orders away again.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Scan me surprised today.

They've sent the board and Processor back FOC. Can't grumble at that. Anyway I'll re-assembly it at work and test it there.

Bettings that it fails??
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X