X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US military: cyborgs?

U.S. researchers study military bio-chips

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 28 (UPI) --

U.S. military experts are attempting to develop soldiers with enhanced intelligence through implantation of microchips in their brains.

Australia's news.com.au reports that scientists believe that the electronic implant will improve troops' memories, allowing them to recall every detail of their training, which in turn would make them more effective soldiers.

The pioneering research was undertaken at the University of Southern California's bioengineering department. The chip developed by researchers mimics the functions of the hippocampus, the section of the brain that deals with memory.

Researchers experimented on the hippocampus of dead rats. After removing it, the scientists inserted the bio-chip in its place.

The silicon microchip implant generated exactly the same electronic signals as the removed hippocampus. Scientists involved in the project now intend to test the bio-chip on live animals. Should the research proves to be as successful as the experiments on the dead rodents, then researchers envisage one day carrying out human trials.
    U.S. military experts are attempting to create soldiers with enhanced intelligence using microchip brain implants.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

so basically they had a dead rat with better memory?

They have to be careful though.. if they make their soldiers too smart, would they still be soldiers? ( not ment to offend Dghost, whom I know is fairly intelligent to start with )
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

This isn't a new idea, just a new application.

Such biochips have been worked on in the US for some time for use in Parkinsons patients. By replacing the damaged cells with one their tremors would be relieved, but this is something of a whole other order.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X