PDA

View Full Version : Nero 7 Ultra/Premium Problems

Debbie
27th October 2005, 22:49
Hi All,

I'm posting this thread here becaure most of us use this software for burning.
It appears that this new version is a "bug pitt", so for the moment I would keep away.

I have been trying to fix an major issue on my friend's installation. It appears that if Nero Express is launched via the Start Menu or Nero StartSmart and closed, it later cause Nero 7 to crash when the application is run.

A solution I found was to copy the reg. key "BCGWorkspace" from:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-117609710-651377827-725345543-1003\Software\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\BCGWorkspace

Immediatly and before the programme is run for the first time. I would avoid launching Nero Express via the said places and run the *.reg if you do or delete the key. Otherwise even if the software is re-installed it will still return the same error .

These were my findings and it is not necessarely a fixed issue. However the above metod is working over here until a patch is povided by Ahead software.

Debbie

lecter
27th October 2005, 23:00
What worked much better for me was setting the nero.exe file to Windows 2000 compatibility mode...worked beautifully since then :)

Debbie
27th October 2005, 23:32
Yes, correct. That also works fine and you can still use the Nero Express shortcut via the Start Menu and StartSmart.

Debbie

Brian Ellis
28th October 2005, 00:57
I stopped using Nero with v. 5, which I paid for. It was buggy then and tended to the invasive. I do all my burning with Ulead software, even data CDs.

Debbie
28th October 2005, 01:24
I understand you, Brian, I am also begining to look in an other direction, away from Nero.

Debbie

williamtjones
7th November 2005, 15:31
Why hello there you clever lot, i have recently got nero 7 and at the moment quite dissapointed with it.

i have tryed your last examples on how to make it better but still no luck.

i am trying to make my own DVD Movie, and have already done this sucsessfully but it has started to mess up dont know if the problem has grown or it was always there.

I try and add a AVI and make my own menu to it as well, this is no problem, during the conversion side of things (before it starts burning) its like it crashes but does not tell me at first i just thought it was very... very slow but i kept it on for 2 days and it still didnt get passed the place that it stopped before, imjust getting a bit fed up with it now as i have no available hard drive space left (enough for the burning process (images etc) ) and was wondering if anyone could help me on this , thankyou very much

will

Debbie
8th November 2005, 01:36
I just use Nero only to burn, nothing else.
I don't believe in an application that performs everyting, a sort of, "jack of all trades" In most cases it really turns out to be "master of none".

Anothe example is Roxio's Easy media Creator 8. This is my humble opinion !!
I belive in one application one job.

Which Nero version you have ? The latest is 7.0.1.2 I belive, and there have been some improvments.

Debbie

williamtjones
8th November 2005, 10:14
it is the version 7.0.0.0 and ill up date it and keep you informed - cheers

kickinkz
28th November 2005, 16:24
I paid for and downloaded Nero 7, directly from Nero. Went to install, and it told me a file was missing in one of the .cab files....I contacted tech no-support and they told me to download another program to "clean" up the old Nero programs and then re-install...I did that, same problem again. So I contacted them and the said to download their infotool.zip file to send them a report....well, their servers are junk, it won't let me download the file. I asked them to email it to me last Friday, have heard a word since. Tech no-support had gotten a bit nasty with me, so I've decided to contact my credit card company and dispute the charge since I got a piece of useless garbage from Nero and they don't seem to really care...

I liked Nero, I loved Nero 6, but when I found Nero 7 was available I decided to get it....big mistake.

I won't be buying any more Nero products.

Later
Phil

Dr Mordrid
28th November 2005, 16:44
Nero quit giving me problems as soon as I learned not to install its packet writer: InCD. This is especially the case under WinXP. Since that I've used 5.x to 6.x with no issues.

Dr. Mordrid

Debbie
29th November 2005, 05:38
Right you are Doc. That InCD is a load of problems. I just use Nero for burning and nothing else.

The first version of Nero 7 did give me some problems but this present version appears to be better.

Debbie

Enak
29th November 2005, 05:41
I've been using Nero 7 without problems for a little while now and think it is great.

landrover
2nd December 2005, 02:21
Initial releases of major Nero versions have always come with a number of flaws, followed quickly by a number of updates containing big improvements. For the packet writing thing, I second Debbie and the Dr. By the way, other packet writing software is just as malicious.

MarkJCarvalho
6th December 2006, 10:45
I too have had no success with Nero 7 (nor dealing with the company) see emails below

===
Hello,

Back in August of 2006 I wanted to upgrade my Nero 6 OEM version to Nero 6 Ultra edition. On you website it offered an upgrade to Nero 7 Ultra as well, so I paid for that version upgrade. I just now got around to using Nero 7 this week, and it freezes up my computer every time I try to add files to an existing data CD. The software does not seem to work properly. I looked on the web and found numerous negative comments about version 7, and most folks said that they preferred using Nero 6.

My question is, how do I credit my Nero 7 purchase to go backward and get a copy of Nero 6 Ultra instead? I called the US customer support number, and they were less than helpful. They told me that they could not point me to a download site to get Nero 6, and they said they could not generate a Nero 6 serial number for me.

I have already paid for your software, which does not work properly. How do I proceed? Do I need to request a re-fund of my money and stop using your software?
Or can you simply give me a Nero 6 Ultra serial number and a download site?

My order number was xxxxxxxx the date was August 28, 2006 from nero-onlineshop@nero.com

Please resolve this as soon as possible. I would really rather continue using Nero products, but NOT version 7.

Sincerely,
Mark Carvalho,
USA

====

Dear Mr. Carvalho,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.
Please provide us with more information so that we can properly assist you.

1.)
Please explain in detail how you proceeded.
Which application of Nero did you use, what do you want to do ?

2.)
Do you get any error messages?
If yes, send a screenshot displaying the error.

3.)
Download the file "infotool.zip"

When saving, it is important that all the boxes are checked.
Please attach the infotool.txt file to your email.

4.)
Any problems during the burning process ?
If yes, please respond back with a copy of your Nero log file so we can analyze the problem in detail.

The name of this log file is "NeroHistory.log"

Attach the log file to your email and send it back to us.

Should you wish more information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Andrea Kotsch
Nero Sales

===

Thank you for the quick response.

To answer your questions:
I was burning Data CDs. I needed to add more data, so I burned the second session, and the message progress said burn was successful, but the program would freeze the computer at this point and I had to shut it down and cold boot to restart windows. This happened several times. Each time, the first session burn would work correctly, and the second would freeze the computer.

Attached are the two files you requested.
Thank you,
-Mark Carvalho

Since my first experiences, upon other occasions, it froze the machine even on the first burn.

===

Dear valued customer,

Please delete all Nero 7 applications off of your system using our special Nero 7 CleanTool.

After this process has been completed, download and install the latest Nero 7 version

Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards

Jens Mayer

Technical Support

===
I had already downloaded and installed the latest version of Nero7 when the problems occurred.

I had upgraded from Nero6 OEM version to Nero7 and paid over the web.

My question to you folks was: may I please have a serial number for Nero 6 Ultra in place of my fully paid for version of Nero 7 Ultra, as I do not wish to continue debugging your new software for you. I want to go back to using Nero 6 which worked.

Please send me a valid Nero 6 serial number, and a download site from which I may download Nero 6 Ultra edition.

Thank you.
-Mark Carvalho

===

Dear valued customer,

Please update to version 7.5.9.0

we cannot give you a Nero 6 serial number.
Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards
Jens Mayer
Technical Support

===

Your email does not tell me how the problems I am experiencing have been addressed? I told you that I was using the latest download version of Nero 7 when these problems occurred. So how does your email help me?

Why can I not get a valid license number for version 6 if that is the version that works properly for me on my machine? Could you please forward my request to someone higher up in the decision making process of the company? Surely my request is a simple one.

If not, how do I go about getting my money refunded for a product that does not work?

Thank you,
Mark Carvalho

===

Dear Mr. Carvalho,

thank you for your email.

I regret to inform you that we do not sell nero 6 any longer - infact of this it is not possible to change your Nero 6 order, sorry.

Please contact our technical department to solve the occured error.
Should you wish more information, do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Andrea Kotsch
Nero Sales

===

I do not wish to purchase version 6... I ALREADY paid for the software. I just require a valid Nero 6 serial number. Nero 7 DOES NOT WORK on my machine.

This is a very poor way to run a business. Making an inferior product and then relying on your "customers" to de-bug it for you is inexcusable. I am very disappointed. I feel you have taken my money fraudulently. I will never use nor recommend Nero software ever again.

Please pass this on to your higher up manager. This is very poor marketing and sales.

Very dissatisfied,
Mark Carvalho
USA

===

Dear Mr. Carvalho
Thank you for your email again.

I´m sorry that you are dissatisfied.
You didn´t purchase a serial number for Nero 6.

This is your order:

Order number: #xxx
Order status: Serial-number emailed.
Product: Nero 7 Ultra Edition downloadable Serial Number
Carrier: email
Email address: xxx
Shipping date: 08/29/06

We offer the demo version to avoid such problems.
Also we have the system requirements in our homepage.

Please accept that there is no way to get a refund.

If you have technical problems or questions, please send an e-mail with a precise problem description to techsupport@nero.com and we will be glad to assist you.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Yours sincerely
Simone Reich

Nero Sales

===
Simone,
You are factually correct, and you have obviously not been understanding the entirety of my emails. I told you that I was upgrading an OEM version of Nero 6, when I decided (based on the fine performance of version 6) to upgrade. I saw at that time that Version 7 was being offered for upgrade, so rather than upgrade to Version 6 Ultra, I decided (based on the fine performance of version 6) to jump right to Version 7.

I did not spend the time using a demo version of 7 prior to upgrading, because I assumed (wrongly) that any new version would obviously work as well if not better than an old version. As you are well aware, THIS IS NOT THE CASE. I know that you are aware that version 7 has MAJOR problems. If you are not, all you need do is Google Nero 7 problems, and you will get many responses from your dissatisfied customers (of which I am now unfortunately a member).

You certainly have the ability and technology to give me a valid serial number for version 6 ultra. I do not understand why you will not take the initiative to help a paying customer? Do you really think that I will be able to continue using Nero 7 when I have TOLD you that it FREEZES up my computer. How can I continue to use it? IT DOES NOT WORK on my machine.

Please sit back and consider the problem from my point of view. I paid for software that I cannot now use. You have the ability to help me by enabling me to use an older product (of yours) that DOES work on my computer... Why won't you simply help me? Why are you behaving this way toward your user base?

Please reconsider.
Hopefully yours,
-Mark

===
Dear Mr. Carvalho
Thank you for your email again.

I´m sorry to tell you again but there is no way to get a refund.
We value our customer but we have to stick to our rules.

These terms of trade were accepted with the purchase of Nero from our website www.nero.com.

§ 7 Right of Restitution

(2) The right of restitution does not apply for delivery of software, if the data carrier delivered has been unsealed by the End User….

If you have technical problems or questions, please send an e-mail with a precise problem description to techsupport@nero.com and we will be glad to assist you.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Yours sincerely

Simone Reich

Nero Sales

===
I weary of trying to say this... I DO NOT WANT A REFUND! I WANT A VERSION 6 ULTRA SERIAL NUMBER.

I know that you have the capability of generating old serial numbers, for I have worked in the software industry for years, and I know that this is how software is produced.

I also know from experience that this kind of obtuse behavior is what causes good companies to decline. To take the attitude that "we have your money, we don't have to care..." is the height of hubris. It is a shame when successful companies forget how they became successful: through loyal customers.

Alas, I guess I will be forced into searching for another means to obtain a serial number to operate software for which I lawfully paid real money.

Yours very frustrated,
-Mark

Ps. Rest assured that I will tell everyone I know about my unhappy experience in dealing with your company. I will strongly discourage anyone from upgrading to your "newest" product ever again.

Enak
20th February 2007, 07:22
And the customer is always right!

Did you actually try anything they suggested?

Dr Mordrid
20th February 2007, 08:42
7.7.5.1 working fine and I've owned NERO since 4.0.

Only problem was one rig didn't have the LightScribe service installed, which was easily fixed by visiting http://lightscribe.com/ and downloading it.

Hulk
20th February 2007, 18:34
I've been using Nero 7 without problems for a little while now and think it is great.

Me too.

2in1
7th June 2007, 15:52
@Mark

I give u 1 advice
Stay away from software Your postings just show your stupidity.The Nero people told you what to do and you just continued acting like a little kid posting your conversation with them.
Why do you think sw companies have free demo versions?
Why did you not try before buying?
Why did you not download their LATEST version and just try out their advices?

Debbie
8th June 2007, 02:40
Quite a long time past since I started this thread (28th October 2005). There has been
quite a few new Nero updates since then and the only difficulty I find is installing the
multilingual version, otherwise I have no problems with the main objective of this software
ie. burning all sort of media.

PS. Nero Recode is a great bonus too.

Fred H
8th June 2007, 04:43
Hello Debbie. It was a long time ago.
I am still burning with the Nero 7.0.1.4, installed FEB 2006 an it works fine for that simple burning work I use it for. I am forced to use Nero to burn my videos (not so much nowly), because Ulead DVDMF (v.3) can't handle DVD+/-RW. It simply can't erase the RWs and it can't burn direct to my burner, only to the HD.
Otherwise I am not very active with my videos, but more intensively with photo. (come and look at my web albums on my home page, surely you have the link)
And, @HULK, Mark, old friend. I tried to defend you from forum "attac", but I erased my post. I've been just sorry for such "advices".
Regards,
//Fred (after a long time still going strong...)

wkulecz
8th June 2007, 06:14
Nero 7 has given me no troubles and I've been using three burners at once with it (two ATA, one 1394), but then I'm running Windows 2000 and didn't install the InCD "packet writer" component.

--wally.

Fred H
8th June 2007, 06:33
Packet writer is a plague.
//Fred

Gurm
8th June 2007, 06:36
I actually like the newest Nero much better than I've liked Nero in a long time. It's been trimmed down, it works flawlessly.

They even made it so that their retrograde shit-codecs don't get force-installed when you aren't looking! Kudos to Ahead for realizing that some of their software sucks donkey cock!