Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel scrambles roadmap to catch up with AMD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel scrambles roadmap to catch up with AMD...

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yeah so they finally realized that the XEON chip and it's related chipset, is no longer competitive, and what do they do??? They cancel the Dual Core XEON project and decide to go with whole new CPU architecture and chipset.

This pisses me off royally because they just rendered my new Xw8200 obsolete!

Comment

I gotta say, I stopped using Intel chips a few years back, when they started changing sockets more often then some of the forum members change their underwear.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
        I gotta say, I stopped using Intel chips a few years back, when they started changing sockets more often then some of the forum members change their underwear.
        what if you don't wear underwear normally?
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Then you should use Intel chips so that at least something is changed frequently
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
            Yeah so they finally realized that the XEON chip and it's related chipset, is no longer competitive, and what do they do??? They cancel the Dual Core XEON project and decide to go with whole new CPU architecture and chipset.

This pisses me off royally because they just rendered my new Xw8200 obsolete!

It's probably not like you could upgrade them too long anyway... (what Sasq said...BTW, which ones? )

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
              (what Sasq said...BTW, which ones? )
              Trust me, you don't want to know.
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well, IMHO buying dual socket motherboards for workstations has become less sensible since the introduction of dual core CPUs:
                - compare cost of A64 X2 and regular motherboard to dual socket motherboard and 2 CPUs. Unless you want pair of ultimate single core CPUs or need 4-way system...
                - OK, so you can do dual dual core, but most regular workstation apps don't scale as well past 2CPUs
                - I/O slots, unless you plan to have RAID5 card requiring PCI-X or PCIe x4 or x8 slot, you don't need more expensive motherboards with better slots
                - SCSI - for single user tasks WD Raptor is generally no slouch compared to 15k drives, especially, when taking price of both controller and drive in consideration
                - also factor in the cost of case, PSU and it becomes even less attractive.

Comment

and your 'IMHO' is relevent to Elie how exactly?
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

To clarify: Already having dual mobo or planning to buy one is something different.

If you already have dual Xeon motherboard and 3.0+ Xeons you're left without noteworthy CPU (dual core requires new motherboard) and videocard (AGP->PCIe, if you have AGP motherboard 6800 ultra is your final step) upgrades, which is situation manny Xeon owners on various forums are facing.

My comment was concerning starting from scratch with dual board and was not related to Elie.

Otherwise, if you have high end dual rig, it might be worth to wait untill late 06 or early 07 when Woodcrest Xeons and Socket F (DDR2, new socket) Opterons come out.
                    Last edited by UtwigMU; 27 October 2005, 05:01.

Comment

You'd do better if you'd said "not a big deal, since Elie will be able soon to buy system more capable and cheaper at the same time"

And BTW, I somehow disagree about SCSI vs. Raptors...the latter are simply NOT a good deal at this point. The cheaper, 36GB, costs over 110€. For that price I could buy used Adaptec 80MB/s (pointless to get more for one drive - besides, controller will sit on normal PCI) card and a new 36GB SCSI drive (one quick look at our online auctions - and yes, there's this IBM 36GB for example)...and by adding prices of both I see I'd still be left with 20€ in my pocket. In practice - much more, because I'd probably buy 18GB drive for system/apps, they're (yes, new) for 50€ max...
                      And for 5€ more one could apparently have LSI/i960 RAID card with 8MB of cache, expendable to 64 (interestingly...it's quite small)
                      Last edited by Nowhere; 27 October 2005, 05:32.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                        To clarify: Already having dual mobo or planning to buy one is something different.

If you already have dual Xeon motherboard and 3.0+ Xeons you're left without noteworthy CPU (dual core requires new motherboard) and videocard (AGP->PCIe, if you have AGP motherboard 6800 ultra is your final step) upgrades, which is situation manny Xeon owners on various forums are facing.

My comment was concerning starting from scratch with dual board and was not related to Elie.

Otherwise, if you have high end dual rig, it might be worth to wait untill late 06 or early 07 when Woodcrest Xeons and Socket F (DDR2, new socket) Opterons come out.
                        not concerning Elie fine, however, I personally am considering a dual dual board next round, as WHILE most apps themselves might only work well on 2 cores, I need to test within 2 ~ 3 operating systems, virtual machines are my friend.

It is best not to make blanket statements without qualifiers.
                        Last edited by Sasq; 27 October 2005, 06:12.
                        Juu nin to iro

Comment

mmmm... virtual machines.
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well, I said "Unless you want pair of ultimate single core CPUs or need 4-way system...". You obviously need 4-way system, which should rock for virtual machines.

Comment

I'd rather have a real machine
                              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                              X