Millenium II PC -> Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millenium II PC -> Mac

I've got for free (well...two beers ) PowerMac 7200/90, complete without monitor. So...one more reason to play on it with PCI graphics card - I won't have to hunt for cable that allows using snandard VGA display.
    But...my Millenium II is PC version. Yes, I know the position of Matrox tech support on the thing "not supported/we do not recommend trying" but OTOH it seems that sometimes the results of reflashing cards with Mac BIOS are fully succesfull. And sometimes not.
    So why not to try...

I can't destroy anything physically/permanently in this way, right, even if generally it won't be succesfull?

Do you think I'll be able to use PC flashing utility to flash Mac BIOS? (I don't see other way...and also I hope the reflashed card will work right after putting it in the Mac) I can't research it currently...no small dearchiver will unpack Mac files from Matrox site, and STuffit is too big for me to install on this crappy machine I have here... (perhaps...anyone with Stuffit or simply...Mac could do a repack?
    ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/mac/mill2/bios/bios131.hqx )

OTOH these two threads doesn't sound optimmistic...yes, mine Millenium II is 4MB
    Last edited by Nowhere; 26 October 2005, 13:52.

Too bad there's no way to contact Greebe...he seems to know something about this...

Comment

The BIOS memory size between the PC version and Mac version are different.
      As I recall, some ppl got lucky and made it work somehow, but most just ruined their cards...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Was there a card from Matrox that was completelly identicall, hardware wise, on both Mac and PC? I can grab some Millenium I or Mystique for 10x less than adapter...

Comment

Greebe, now that you're back, could you shed some light on the topic?

Comment

Why not just... use... the... adapter? They came FREE with Viewsonic monitors for a while... I think I have a couple here if you want them!
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Adapters are more expensive (if one can even find them...) than whole old Powermacs, at least here

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                Adapters are more expensive (if one can even find them...) than whole old Powermacs, at least here
                Tell you what. I'll go see if I have one, I'll ship it, and once you get it you can PayPal me the $5 how's that?
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Could do I guess...if I was so determined right now to play with some Powermac like I was back then (no, currently I don't have any...it's just that I noticed Greebe is back and things next time would be easier if I'd have "mac matrox")

Comment

Working...
                  X