Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering PDA

Hello,

I'm considering the purchase of a PDA. My phone (Nokia 6260) is ok for some basic functionality, but not entirely up to the task...

Features I'm looking for:
    - bluetooth, wifi, irda
    - compact flash support (I could use the cards from my camera + future expansion)
    - sdio slot (future expansion)
    - physical serial port (cable is ok)
    - support for an external display (not out of the box, this or another technique is ok)
    - can be used as a USB storage device (Windows Mobile 5 allows this)
    - USB host would be interesting, but isn't required (there is a CF card that allows this, but it is expensive)
    - some keyboard accessory (built in not required)

Not needed:
    - built in phone (would be ok, but I can use my 6260 as GPRS modem)
    - camera (wouldn't mind though)
    - built in gps (will most likely buy one for aviation purposes, hence the serial port requirement)

Currently, I'm considering the HP IPAQ hx2970 and the dell Axim X51v.
    edit: the Dell doesn't seem to offer a serial port... For the HP this is an optional accessory.

Both devices are quite similar, but what about built quality?

Are there other manufacturers of PDA that use Windows Mobile 5 that are worth considering? (i.e. the I-mat JasJar looks cool, but too expensive to my liking)

Are there other PDAs (also with other OS) that would fulfill my requirement? (Palm? Linux?) Or perhaps other suggestions (sub-notebook, subnote tablet, ...)?

Thanks!

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 25 October 2005, 07:47.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

As far as I know, both the Compaq and the Dell are made by HTC. Build quality is good for both. I would personally go with the Axim, because it's cheaper and looks better, while maintaining all the features.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I just checked the accessories list: the Dell doesn't offer a serial port...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

I'm also still wondering about a keyboard... I know that entering on a keyboard can be convenient (i.e. my Psion 5mx). However, a bluetooth keyboard won't allow entering data while standing (for instance); an optional thumb keyboard would...

But how convenient is a thumb board (the Psion 5mx keyboard is quite large: almost 20 cm wide, and laptop-like keys)? I would want to use it to enter/type some things...

This is difficult...

Jörg
        Last edited by VJ; 25 October 2005, 08:16.
        pixar

Comment

From a palm side, the new TX looks closest to your requirements

Here's a link with a keyboard pack:

http://eurostore.palmone.com/is-bin/...042R%5BEMEA%5D
          "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

check for reviews at brighthand.com
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Rakido: it doesn't seem to support CF cards...
              Also, I tend to agree with Chrono: the PalmOS (while being very good) is more of an organizer.

The problem with those keyboard is that you most likely need a table (or at least something to put the keyboard/PPC combination on in order to work it... I can't really say if this would be suitable for me, so that is a shot in the dark.
              Of course, there also are small thumb keyboards, but most just look so small; HP has one that can be used on the hx2790:

As far as keyboards are concerned, I kinda like the form factor of the HTC Wizard, or even the one of the HTC Universal, as both seem to have a workable (sizewize) keyboard.

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

There's one question left: what do you want to *do* ? You listed your technical feature-wishlist so far.

If you don't need a device with 'organizer functions' (more or less, it's stunning what the little beasts are already capable of ), then there's no need to get a Palm or a PPC, you should think about a sub-notebook or tablet-pc.

R.
                "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

The Siemens also looks interesting (it can even act as a USB host !):

But it runs Smartphone 2003.

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

The Samsung Nexio XP40 looks perfect:

But I don't know any place that sells it... (nor have I found detailed websites).
                    Don't tell me this is a Japanese device only?

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

I was leaning towards the IPAQ hx2790, but there are substantial rumours that there will be an updated Fujitsu 720 (update: new OS, Windows Mobile 5) in January.

Featurewise, the 720 offers some features that the HP lacks:
                      - can act as USB host (!)
                      - camera
                      - some Siemens software that looks convenient

The only thing the HP has more than the 720 (apart from the higher CPU speed) is:
                      - optional thumb keyboard

I'm beginning to think that entering a text on a PDA using a touch screen (and a virtual keyboard) will suffice for me. I have a feeling this is faster than a T9 input (is this true?).

So it looks like it will be the 720 in January, if the competition stays the same.

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

I would definitely wait until the new Windows Mobile OS is released.

There's still a lot of glitches and outright bugs in the current version of PPC 2003.

Aside from the reviews @ brighthand.com, you should also check out the forums. It's a very active community. Outstanding issues with any particular model will be discussed there.
                        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Rakido:
                          Well, I want it to replace my Psion 5mx. Basically, I intend to use it as:
                          1. organizer (agenda, contacts)
                          2. mail client (via mobile, I can do this with my Psion too, but it is easier on the phone)
                          3. webclient (similar to mail),
                          4. text editor on the road (at conferences), I use Latex, so a plain editor is sufficiant. However, there is a tex-compiler for PPC, which would allow a preview of the text file
                          5. portable storage (if the device can be set to behave as a USB storage, and I could put one of my CF cards in it, I'd have no need for my USB flashdisk)
                          6. it would be convenient to be able to view office documents (doc, ppt), i.e. when they are mailed
                          7. editing seems *very* interesting, esp. as I don't carry a laptop to conferences, and one often has last minute changes to presentations

Of this list, I can do 1, 2, 3, 4 on my Psion, 6 required me to convert the files (doc -> epoc word, ppt -> multiple jpg). As my phone is easier in some aspects, I now use it of 2 and 3, but it is far from ideal (small screen, relatively slow data entry).

The Psion is also showing its age: the display is hard to read (16-shade greyscale), esp. when getting used to i.e. the display on my phone, it is very slow (even for jpg viewing), and it is limited by its older software.
                          My brother has a Palm device, and I always feel it is slightly too limited for me...

Shmosef:
                          I have found rumours that the Fujitsu Siemens Loox 720 will be available in January 2006 with Windows Mobile 5. Given the fact that the N-series (lower range, with built in GPS) already runs this OS, the rumour is very plausible.
                          Therefore, I intend to wait. But given the hardware feature set of the various devices, the Loox 720 seems to offer all I want...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                            Rakido:
                            Well, I want it to replace my Psion 5mx. Basically, I intend to use it as:
                            1. organizer (agenda, contacts)
                            2. mail client (via mobile, I can do this with my Psion too, but it is easier on the phone)
                            3. webclient (similar to mail),
                            4. text editor on the road (at conferences), I use Latex, so a plain editor is sufficiant. However, there is a tex-compiler for PPC, which would allow a preview of the text file
                            5. portable storage (if the device can be set to behave as a USB storage, and I could put one of my CF cards in it, I'd have no need for my USB flashdisk)
                            6. it would be convenient to be able to view office documents (doc, ppt), i.e. when they are mailed
                            7. editing seems *very* interesting, esp. as I don't carry a laptop to conferences, and one often has last minute changes to presentations
                            Again, from a Palm view:

1,2,3,4 are possible
                            5 is possible, but not with CF cards (there *was* a CF adapter for palm's way back, but i don't know if it works with current models)
                            6,7 is possible (Documents to Go, check dataviz.com for more infos, comes prebundled with the TX)

I'm not sure if a tex compiler exists for the palm, a dvi viewer is available.

R.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido
                              5 is possible, but not with CF cards (there *was* a CF adapter for palm's way back, but i don't know if it works with current models)
                              6,7 is possible (Documents to Go, check dataviz.com for more infos, comes prebundled with the TX)

I'm not sure if a tex compiler exists for the palm, a dvi viewer is available.
                              Well, given the fact that I have 3x 512 MB CF card, 1x 1 GB Microdrive (typeII), and 1x 32 MB CF, the CF support is imperative for me...

Also, I haven't found any accessory that would allow a Palm to drive an external display. While I don't intend to buy this kind of thing immediatly, it is an expansion that could be useful (depending on future use of the device). Furthermore, the more I think about it, the more use I see for the PDA to be a USB host (even if only to read usb storages).

Just curious: could you use a PDA to do the following:
                              - share an internet connection via bluetooth over WIFI (with a PC) ?
                              - share an internet connection via WIFI over bluetooth (with a PC) ?

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X