Animal Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal Memory

Ok stupid question I was just thinking about...so here goes. I had a cat with an ex of mine. She got it for me while we where dating, lived with her for most of its life, except for when we moved in together. We broke up and she kept him, mostly because thats all he knew and was buddies with her cats and the dog we had. She passed away last year and I got him back afterwards. The thing I was just thinking about was during the time we where seprated (just about a year and half) and when I got him back, did he 'remember" who I was when I got him back from my Friend? He was doing the same things he did when I had him before (scrating at the cabents to get treats etc) and he seemed to perk up when I got him (was sick and stressed out over the ex dying...being outside then at the shelter), but it just made me think how long do animals of a memory or what not.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Pretty long. There are some documented cases that are pretty spectacular.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Cats and dogs both are pretty intelligent. I read somewhere that adult cats or dogs have about the equivalent intelligence of a 3yo human. Where such things as emotion are concerned, I'm convinced they are almost as advanced as we are sometimes. My aunt comes for Christmas every year, and my late cat Buster always remembered her. I know because he was usually skittish and shy around strangers, but was just fine with her.

Comment

Well first of all, Sorry to hear about your ex

Yes Animals do have great memory, especially elephants, the proven theory is that they never ever forget.
        I have similar experience with my Grandfathers dog who I used to vist only aprox twice a year, but the dog named Dotchka, always remembered who I was and instead of barking it would come wiggling it's tail in excitement.

It was half wolf half German Sheppard, meaning it's grandfather was a real wolf

Comment

Agreed. Our dogs remember friends, both human and animal, they haven't seen for years though I don't think their memory is as much visually based as humans. IMO their memory is more olfactory (smell) based.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

aye, bosses cat, who is not the most friendly of critters, see's me 3 or 4 times a year.
            I get a good sniffing, then it settles for the cuddle.
            If i try to get near it, before my smell is approved, not a hope.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Got an example of that just yesterday. We were adopted by a stray dog (~9 weeks old est. at the time) about 2½ years ago. We have never beaten it. I was working in the garden yesterday and the dog was near me. I picked up a stout stick used for beans. The dog immediately reacted, bristling, yelping and running 30 m away to a far corner of the garden and he stayed there, trembling, until I put the stick down when he came back to me as if he had misbehaved.

I can only assume that, in his puppyhood, he must have been soundly thrashed by his mother's owner, before he was put out to fend for himself (he was in a really piteous state when he came to us, a tick-ridden skeleton). If he had been mistreated by humans, it would explain some of his behavioural traits, such as he detests men, especially Sri-Lankans, who wear baseball caps. I guess he associates those things with being beaten.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

BTW, Brian, I remember the thread in which you announced that you've been adopted...but how is he doing now? Photo?

As for the topic...probably it also depends on animal (yeah, not only the species, but also individual). I don't see why not...after all similar thing is with humans. But that's just assumption, and perhaps I'll shut up before giving anyone any research idea, I don't want to be responsible for "wasting" so much years

Comment

He's doing fine but I don't have a good recent photo. This one, from last year, makes him look peculiar and hardly conveys his active character - he is a real live wire!

PS New game: name the breed (other than multipedigree)
                  Attached Files
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I have experience a whole bunch of animals, who for one reason or the other recognized me.

Dogs, cats, parrots, doves, rats, toads, cods, bats, porpoises and chickens. At least one of the animals really detested me (a toad), the rest I think connected me with either play or food.

Their behavior was a clear indication of recognition, since their behaviour was different towards me, than towards a stranger (especially the toad).

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Hope it wasn't a Camel Toad that detested you so..

Comment

I've always been a "dog/animal person"; I like them and it seems to translate (scent, body language etc.) in that I can approach critters that others cannot. Sometimes I don't even have to approch them....they just come up and make "friends".

Our middle son is very annoyed by the fact that his dog Zero (a Jack Russell terrier) likes me better than it does him

Anyone else accept the concept of a "dog/animal person"; one that seems to have a natural and mutual affinity for 'em?

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                          He's doing fine but I don't have a good recent photo. This one, from last year, makes him look peculiar and hardly conveys his active character - he is a real live wire!

PS New game: name the breed (other than multipedigree)
                          Easy.. is it not a muppet?
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                            Anyone else accept the concept of a "dog/animal person"; one that seems to have a natural and mutual affinity for 'em?

Dr. Mordrid
                            Well...sure, but the "natural" part suggests to me you're saying that one is born with something like this...however I'd suggest it's more in the area of learning/training (yes, yourself, not the animal )

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              I've always been a "dog/animal person"; I like them and it seems to translate (scent, body language etc.) in that I can approach critters that others cannot. Sometimes I don't even have to approch them....they just come up and make "friends".

Dr. Mordrid
                              I accept it. It's the same way with me too, just as long as I'm not in a bad mood.
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                              X