Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HUGE Sony CCD recall (affects more than one brand).....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUGE Sony CCD recall (affects more than one brand).....

Mentioned in the camara forum, but this one deserves larger notice here too....

Links where I have 'em;

The Latest on Digital Cameras, New Cameras, Scanners, Software, & More. Informative & Up To Date Articles, News, Current Reviews, & Specifications!

Sony:

Sony digital still cameras affected: DSC-F717, DSC-P10, DSC-P12, DSC-P2, DSC-P31, DSC-P32, DSC-P51, DSC-P52, DSC-P7, DSC-P71, DSC-P72, DSC-P8, DSC-P92, DSC-U10, DSC-U20, DSC-U30, DSC-U60, DSC-V1, MVC-CD400, MVC-CD500, MVC-FD200

Sony camcorders affected: CCD-TRV108E, CCD-TRV208E, CCD-TRV218E, CCD-TRV228E, CCD-TRV418E, CCD-TRV428E, DCR-DVD100E, DCR-DVD101E, DCR-DVD200E, DCR-DVD91E, DCR-HC14E, DCR-HC15E, DCR-HC16E, DCR-HC18E, DCR-HC20E, DCR-HC30E, DCR-IP45E, DCR-IP55E, DCR-IP5E, DCR-IP7E, DCR-PC101E, DCR-PC103E, DCR-PC104E, DCR-PC105E, DCR-PC106E, DCR-PC107E, DCR-PC115E, DCR-PC120E, DCR-TRV12E, DCR-TRV145E, DCR-TRV147E, DCR-TRV14E, DCR-TRV16E, DCR-TRV18E, DCR-TRV19E, DCR-TRV22E, DCR-TRV238E, DCR-TRV239E, DCR-TRV240E, DCR-TRV245E, DCR-TRV24E, DCR-TRV250E, DCR-TRV255E, DCR-TRV25E, DCR-TRV265E, DCR-TRV27E, DCR-TRV33E, DCR-TRV340E, DCR-TRV40E, DCR-TRV460E, DCR-TRV50E, DCR-TRV738E, DCR-TRV740E, DCR-TRV940E, DCR-TRV950E, DCR-VX2000E, DCR-VX2100E

Sony PDAs affected: CLIÉ PEG-NZ 90

Canon:

PowerShot A60, PowerShot A70, PowerShot A75, PowerShot A300, PowerShot A310, Digital IXUS V3, Digital IXUS II, Digital IXUS IIs

MV600i, MV630i, MV650i, MV700i, MV730i, MV750i, MV5i, MV5i MC, MV6i MC
    ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, Elura 40 MC, Elura 50

Fuji:

FinePix A303, F410, F700

Konica/Minolta:

DiMAGE 7/7Hi, A1, Xi/Xt/X20, S414, F300

Olympus:

The Latest on Digital Cameras, New Cameras, Scanners, Software, & More. Informative & Up To Date Articles, News, Current Reviews, & Specifications!

(not in English yet on Olympus site)

Oops.....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 October 2005, 09:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Is there a limitation on when this is going to run out? I have a F717 and it hasn't crapped out yet
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I'd call the closest service center for whichever product and ask them about getting it repaired/replaced before it craps out.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks for the info Dr Mordrid

I have a Canon MV600i and over 3 months ago the CCD broke (I assumed since the distortion was in the view-finder, LCD view-finder, recorded onto the tape). I sent it back to my supplier under their 2 year warranty deal and I have not seen it since. I did not manage to take it with me on my trip to Florida with the family (:

I will certainly be ringing my supplier armed with this extra information. Thanks.

Comment

OOpps!!!
          Doc, Thanks for the info!
          But all the links are for USA customers, what about Europeans ? any announcement ?
          Oh my god, and i have a DCR-TRV50E and a DSC-V1 but they are still ok.
          mits,
          System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
          model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

The UK Sony site has also announced, so as before my suggestion is to call your local Sony etc. distributor and see if your cam is covered and how to proceed.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks Doc,

I have a PowerShot A70. Its 2 years old now and have never had any problems yet even in our hot summers. Howevr I shall talk to the Canon supplyers (their office and workshops ony 5 mins. away) first thing tomorrow.

Much obliged Doc.
              We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

D'oh!!! My DSC-W7 Digital Camera is fine. But I forgot about the miniDV Camcorder. It's a TRV22E, crap...

J1NG

Comment

And guess what? I just tried turning it on just now (3 month none use, kept in Sony padded camera bag inside a strong box), and... Can't see a thing with it. Looks like I'm gonna have to make a call tomorow...

Grrr...

J1NG

Comment

You know what they say about putting all your eggs in one basket?

Hopefully the other manufacturers will learn from this that putting their market share in the hands of Sony is fraught with risk.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Turns out I did have to recall my camcorder. The CCD failed earlier this year and I just filled out the form. FOr those who still need to , or may need to, go through the process, the US form is here:

Then select the appropriate link. Sony will send, or email, a shipping label to send back the product for free repair.

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

What a disaster.

Jerry Jones
                        I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

Damn, I've got a minolta s414
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I had this problem with my old beat up Canon SD110 camera. Don't worry too much if your camera is affected. I don't know about the other manufacturers but Canon made the whole process very quick and easy.

I emailed them, they sent me a pre-paid UPS label, and a form to fill out with my info. About a week after dropping it off at the UPS store I get a package back (FedEx 2 day) from the service center.

Inside is a shiny new (refurbished) SD1000.

Here's my dinged, dented, and scratched old camera -

Here's the new one -

and a few samples of the black/purple pictures the defective CCD wiring caused -

Paul's Travel Pictures

Comment

Working...
                            X