quake 4+parhelia=no go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quake 4+parhelia=no go

Hello. i have a copy of q4, ive installed it and tried to play it. the game does not even open. ive tried installing new drivers, fiddling with the configs, and reinstalling the game :/ I figured it would have no problem since its the doom3 engine.... any one have any ideas?
    SaTaN^666

considering how extremely broken the OpenGL drivers on the Parhelia are, I am suprised that even Doom3 could run. although, from what everyone has told me about Doom3 and the Parhelia, it's almost like playing a completely different game (like quake3, for instance).

you are probably completely out of luck on Quake 4 with the Parhelia. A quick scan of their documentation doesn't turn up any mentions of the Parhelia at all.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I tried Q4 on my P8X. Didn't work either.
      I installed it on my office computer with an Ati FireGL T2, P4 3Ghz, 1GB. It could only run at min details @640*480. Even with those settings it was a bit choppy

I'll have to wait for a major hardware upgrade of my PC to play this game. Probably in a few month... and maybe with a non Matrox card...
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

I ran it on two systems so far...

First is an Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer, 1GB DDR, w/ a 6600GT/128MB. it ran fine, allbeit a little choppy in places, at 1280x1024@Medium details under XP x64.

Second is a Pentium M 740 (1.73Ghz), 2GB DDR2, GeForce Go 6800/256MB. It ran perfectly at 1440x900. silky smooth.

on both systems it auto-detected as using Low Detail mode. I would love to find more info on it out.
        things to note about it - first off, low quality on Quake 4 seemed to be at least equivalent to Medium on Doom 3. maybe i'm off on that, but the graphics quality even on low was quite good.

second would be that it seems to be a bit heavier on the system memory than Doom 3 was. It is also most definately harder on the graphics card.

third... the single player is kinda short and kinda long at the same time. definately fun to play another true quake game though.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Maybe? Is there anything better/faster from Matrox than P8X that I don't know about?

Comment

@Nowhere : I hope there is
            System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

off with matrox

ok, then I guess Im off with my parhelia, Ive had an amazing 3 years of surround gaming.... but unfortunately I have to give it up for something newer. Im aiming for the bfg 6800 uultra oc. UNLESS someone can find me a motherboard that supports BOTH agp and pci-e at the same time, WITH amd 64. I have found some motherboards that support both agp and pci-e however they onl support p4s. it was the asrock motherboards. does any one know any other motherboards that support agp and pci-e? I really dont wanna give up my parhelia
              SaTaN^666

Comment

There exist ASRock board based on new ULi chipset (yes, for socket 939 AMD) that supports both PCIe x16 and AGPx8, both at their full, native speed.

edit: link

Comment

yea I saw that one,but I have a socket 754. actually maybe if I save up some money... this is my next plan.
                  I purchase this agp 6800 ultra, then later on a purchase one of thoe agp/pci-e motherboards and a cpu to suit it... and I purchase the parhelia pci-e. this could work for me I just have a simple question.

does the parhelia pci-e perform better or at least equally with the agp 8x version of the parhelia? I noticed the prices are cheaper so I figured it wasnt as good.
                  SaTaN^666

Comment

The Parhelia APVe should performe like a P8X.

Comment

I believe there are some new Via boards that support PCIe and AGP. Not sure of the details though. I was interested if it could be made to do thriple monitor gaming but that is a no go. Just independant display.
                      Is the Parhelia still the only surround gaming card? I haven't heard of any others, but I can't believe no other companies have even tried it. I did see MS flight sim 2004 on hardocp that used two GF 6800's that had the screen stretched accross three monitors. I enquired how it was done but no one knew. I believe Matrox should have kept pushing surround gaming with better hardware. There are tons of hardcore gamers who would pay to $ if the performance was there.
                      Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Last I checked flight sim uses multiple windows for their multimon support. It can work across multiple adaptors as long as they support 3d acceleration on all displays.

Comment

yea nothing fancy to run flgiht sim on other cards. But yea guys, I finally got my new video card and mother board. I went with the asrock 939dual. so I now have 5 displays attached. I run tripple screen games as usual "with the parhelia card" and i run the newer high end games with my en6800 ultra. I need a new power supply though I have around 17 fans in the whole comp. :S and lotsa harddrives and cd drives and lights blah blah. basically I have a 420 WATT right now. and whenever I turn on a light or 2 in the comp... nvidia pops up saying there is a lack of power and that it is going to under clock the video cadr to compensate lol.
                          SaTaN^666

Comment

yeah, "low quality" in quake4 is anything but LOW, still looks awesome - even the lower resolutions dont look like you'd think - ie low quality @ 1024 still looks awesome!
                            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

yep. but I dun need to worry about that now . Im running everything on high at 1280.
                              XD
                              SaTaN^666

Comment

Working...
                              X