S-Video on 21" monitor, RRG or iScan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-Video on 21" monitor, RRG or iScan?

I am trying to setup my 21" monitor, Mitsubishi 2040u, to act as a "dorm theater" in my room. Inputs are an S-VHS deck (JVC 9600) and multiple console systems. I have two options:
    1. Get a video capture card that accepts S-Video, i.e., Pinnacle Sys, or Matrox Rainbow Runner G. I have a G400 MAX.
    2. Get an image processor (i.e., DVDO iScan Pro) and connect it directly to the monitor. This has the added side benefit of allowing me to take it home and use it with my real Home Theater (using Toshiba CN36X81 TV).

Can anyone comment on which is the better option, and within these options, which is the better product? I am concerned that an iScan Pro is overkill (or underkill?) for my needs, considering that it *only* doubles (my monitor can do 2048x1536, far above HDTV standards) and is considerably more expensive than the RRG. It might be comparable to a midrange to high-end Pinnacle solution, but I do not know if that is even necessary.

Note that I have no need for the tuner on the RRG. All I care about is getting S-Video signals to my monitor.

Hello,
    I don't know anything about the iScan you talk about but by using a RRG to watch TV on your monitor you won't get the same quality you can get by watching TV on a plain 21" colour TV.
    RRG does some weird things with frames and the resulting image looks completely blurred (at least with PAL input signals).
    It seems it mixes the even and odd frame into one and displays this one on the screen.
    RRG is ok for playing and having fun though.
    Anyway I noticed the same happens when I play mpeg2 movies (digitally (ie. via scsi) recorded from a satellite receiver, therefore no quality loss at all) with PowerDVD (2.x and 3.0) so perhaps this isn't only a RRG problem but it's common to TV material watched on computer monitors.
    I guess someone (Brian? :-) ) could explain this to us all :-)
    Have fun!

Comment

chances are, the quality diff is because a tv in interlaced, and a monitor is progressive scan

Comment

true, the quality can be spotty

Comment

Working...
        X