Help! Emergency! Electronics + H20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Emergency! Electronics + H20

Crap, a wase fell and water landed on mainboard that I kept somewhere around there. Well...nothing terrible if that's the definite end for it (Via KT133A... )...but perhaps I could want to use it for server instead of dual p2 266.

It just happened. What's best to do? I have hairdryer at hand...but wouldn't that produce way too much static? (yeah, that's the main question) I'm left only with skaing a lot. leaving it to dry and hoping it'll be ok?

Originally posted by Nowhere
    Crap, a wase fell and water landed on mainboard that I kept somewhere around there. Well...nothing terrible if that's the definite end for it (Via KT133A... )...but perhaps I could want to use it for server instead of dual p2 266.

It just happened. What's best to do? I have hairdryer at hand...but wouldn't that produce way too much static? (yeah, that's the main question) I'm left only with skaing a lot. leaving it to dry and hoping it'll be ok?
    If it wasn't ON, you're probably fine. The hairdryer isn't an issue - hot air all by itself doesn't make static! But you might of course want to make sure that the item is insulated/grounded first, hmm?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

If it was a vase of flowers, then it's not pure water. You might even consider rinsing it in alcohol. If it was just clean water, then I wouldn't worry.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, it wasn't ON...for a year, I guess. Thanks for help, used a dryer, with cold air just in case...we'll see if it works (when I'll have some CPU to put in...). And the water should be clean enough I guess, the whole vase/flowers/water thing was just put together...

Comment

I'd leave it dry for a week (it's probably been sitting for years, you don't need it urgently), then it should work normally.

I spilled a glass of watter over my Logitech Internet Navigator. After 5 days in the sun it works as it did before the incident.

Comment

Somehow the notion of a KT133A and a vase (with flowers in it) sharing the same space sounds weird
            All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
              Somehow the notion of a KT133A and a vase (with flowers in it) sharing the same space sounds weird
              No, it really doesn't. KT133A's often serve as paperweights later in life.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                No, it really doesn't. KT133A's often serve as paperweights later in life.
                Not mine!

Mine's a dust collector.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                  Hey, I'm tight on space

Comment

Make sure there is not a battery on the MB,

Rinse well with DISTILLED water

leave it to air dry for at least a day or two. Watch out for any water trapped under compnents. We would set ours in the sun for a few hours at the end of the drying to make sure.

If ther are any non-soldered roms etc on board, give them a gentle push in to break any oxide formation.

Hook up, Power up.

We used to clean our computer boards with a quick rinse and a pink pearl eraser for the back plane fingers. Never had a problem.

Comment

Hmmm...the thread in which I mentioned fate of my PSX made me remember what I'm planning to do for some time, and might as well ask here...

In short: for a loooooooong time my console is dead, due to accident with some drink. Which could be described as water mostly... Anyway, the accident was irritating also because, well, there was high probablity it will be all OK - the console was turned off at the moment, even disconnected from power. It was left for few weeks like that, and failed to turn on when checked (no puff, smoke, blink from LED - absolutelly nothing). The whole thing is complicated that somebody did connect the thing to power (apparently for aesthetic reasons ), but most probably didn't try to turn it on.

So question: given the description on what happened/symptomes do you think it's probablr than only power supply unit is dead, and replacing it will be all that's neccasery?

Comment

Ya probably all you need is a new voltage regulator.

Most of the electronics are water resistant now days and have been for at least past 10 years. I know so because my company manufactures broadcast equipment and all our circuit boards at the end of the day gets washed in a standard dish washer. I have washed a computer motherboard my self before. As long as you remove the battery and leave to try to for a couple of days it will work flawlessly. You can do the same with most computer hardware. I have washed Fans before … they look and work as if they were new after a good wash but MUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE DRY BEFORE PLUGGING THEM BACK IN.

As for your console … are you sure it wasn’t something sweet that was spilled?
                        2 x Opteron 270 • Tyan K8WE • 8Gb Kingston HyperX • 2 x BFG 7900GTX SLI • Matrox TH2G • Areca SATA RAID • 4 x WD RaptorX RAID6 • Creative X-FI Elite Pro • Klipsch 5.1 Ultra • PC P&C 1KW PSU • 3 x Samsung 19" LCD • The System is Fully Water Cooled

Comment

Yeah, "water" and "water mostly" are two very different things. Especially if the "mostly" made it conductive, and/or could leave a residue when drying.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My guess is some circuit traces were corroded. If this is true, you can throw it away.
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

OK, mostly water = vodka in this case

I must visually inspect it soon...

Comment

Working...
                              X