Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antivirus and xp64

Hi!

I thought that it would be nice with a antivirus program installed. I tried to install the free version of avg antivirus and the installation program said that xp 64 was not supported...

Can anyone give me any tips on which antivirus to use for xp 64?

/Leo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

That's an interesting issue.

I remember that when Windows 95 came out Symantec made a big deal about needing AV software that was 32 bit.

Hmm...
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Download free virus protection for Windows PC. Avast offers modern antivirus for today’s complex threats. Fast, simple, and 100% free. Try it today!

32-bit is very nice and clean, and it´s free for personal use. Did I mention it´s free?
      I think the 64-bit version will be just as good.

Comment

Avast is ok. If they've already got a 64-bit version, I'd go with that until Kaspersky or Eset (NOD32) have an actual, compatible one. AV is always a problem when new OS'es come out.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I've been using symantec antivirus corporate 10.0 with good results on x64. Avast was... ugh. didn't like it too much. and at least the corporate copies of SAV are not as bad as the consumer ones.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I heartily recommend avoiding avast 64 bit version, It a nightmarish bit of work that corrupt files and generally stops programs from runing.
            I ran it for a week and spent most of time disabling just to be able do anything without problems, came down to the conclusion I would rather have a virus than have that piece of ^%$%^ on my computer.

Symantec antivirus corporate was recomended to me by a few people and seems to be quite reasonable, but I have not tried it yet.

Comment

I'm really confused... Avast is free but the 64bit version sucks, at least according to one of you. The other antivirus seem to cost and I only found that nod32 had a 64bit version.

What to do? Buy? Dc++?

I really liked avg... Perhaps there will be a 64bit version soon.

/Leo
              AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
              Asus A8N-E
              Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
              Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
              Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
              Lian-Li PC60
              Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

yeah I like avg but there is no 64bit version yet.

You can try avast 64bit if you like it is *free*(probably for good reason ), maybe I confgured wrong or the nvidia firewall thing interfered with it or something...but I won't be touching unlessquite a few people have a lot better experience with it than I did.

Comment

Well, I'd imagine there are not too manny 64-bit viruses out either .

Comment

64-bit windows can execute 32-bit viruses...
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                      64-bit windows can execute 32-bit viruses...
                      it can execute it, but is likely just going to crash. unless it is a higher level language (or perhaps a scripting language) it is very likely not going to be able to execute the functions it would need to. so yes, it would need a 64bit virus to be a problem.

Avast seemed to cause performance issues here.
                      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                      X