New Mega Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mega Hurricane

Wilma...most powerful storm ever recorded in the Atlantic...amazing.

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

That's a lot of hurricane's in such a short period of time, weird!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Wow.. this one popped up really quickly.
      Attached Files

Comment

Fred mus have been bad or something...

Seriously...Zokes, I don't think it's weird. We basically know why it's happening (I'm not getting into the reasons behind the cause of stronger hurricanes, just the cause itself)

Comment

Well the thing too is that its seems like all these disasters are getting reported more often. ever since the Tsunami, it seems like the world is going to hell in a hand basket, when its there already. Only 2 more weeks of hurricane season...unless we start getting them in November.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
            Fred mus have been bad or something...

Seriously...Zokes, I don't think it's weird. We basically know why it's happening (I'm not getting into the reasons behind the cause of stronger hurricanes, just the cause itself)
            I don't think the hurricane itself is weird, just the fact that this is the third one (or fourth) in such a short time.

Comment

Doesn't mean its weird, given the circumstances. It might even become the norm...

Comment

True, but these events are getting more and more frequent, doesn't that disturb even a little bit?

Comment

This year and last year have been pretty bad, but don't turn a short term variability into a long term one. The Gulf has been warmer during other periods, which produced lots of storms. The 60s were pretty bad, as were the 30s, so a calmer period should follow, lets hope. Doesn't mean the next warm period won't be even warmer though.

Comment

Disturbing - yes. But not necesserily totally weird...

Comment

The only strange thing is the increase in landfalls of these storms. Also let us not forget that other parts of the globe routinely get storms just as bad in greater numbers.
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Oh crap. My brother and sister-in-law are in Tulum right now. This is not good...
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                          The only strange thing is the increase in landfalls of these storms. Also let us not forget that other parts of the globe routinely get storms just as bad in greater numbers.
                          No, it's not just the number of landfalls. Wilma has tied 2005 for "most named storms" record, and we still have quite a lot of hurricane season left.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

We're talking 12 versus the normal 8, which really isn't that large a jump considering we have a historic precedent for it. Let's keep in mind that the recorded history of hurricanes, in the manner we're referencing, is relatively brief, so we really don't know what is normal in the grand scheme of things.

And quite a lot of hurricane season left? It's almost over. Sure there might be another hurricane or so, but it will be a good number of years before we will know if this is an increasing trend or simply a rough patch.
                            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I just had this converstation with my brother over his blackberry.

Me: So, are you getting the hell out of Dodge or what?

Him: Nope, can't - it's gonna be awesome!
                              Crazy bugger. He's basically stranded in his hotel. The airport is mayhem, and his tour operator is not able to send any planes anyway. The hotel supposedly is built to handle storms like this, so as long as he stays well above ground, and away from the windows, he should be okay. Knowing him though, he'll be trying to get some good footage of the storm.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X