Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best mpeg2 codec

Hi all,
    What is the best mpeg2 encoder? I am using the adobe encoder, but I beleive it is a single pass. I want a high quality 2 pass encoder. I am using premeire 6.5. I have a matrox rt.x100. When the new premeire is released, I will upgrade. Any suggestions?
    asus p4 533 c P4 2.53
    4x512 1066 samsung Rambus Ram ( @533)
    120gb or 80 gb system maxtor (ata 133 ) ( removable caddie)
    240 gb ( with 8 mb buffer) raid-o
    250 gb (w/ 8 mb buffer) removable caddie ( plus 10 gb ghost,250 Gb,160 GB,40 Gb, etc)
    Sony Mutli Format DVD burner
    samsung 40x cdrw burner
    Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Soundcard
    Aardvark 20/20 soundcard
    Matrox Rt.x100
    Ati Radeon 9800 pro
    19" Nec Fe991sb crt / 17" Crystalscan / Tv monitor
    Antec Server case SX1040BII and 400 watt power supply
    Xp Pro ( sp 2 )

There is no "best" one. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, unless you are prepared to spend tens or even hundreds of kilobucks on an ad hoc hardware type designed for Hollywood professionals. Canopus Procoder and MainConcept have had good reports recently in the reasonable price range, somewhat displacing TMPGenc from popularity. The latter ain't bad but it is more difficult to drive. There are others, so my list isn't exhaustive.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

TMPGEnc has always given me very good results + it has so many (extra) good features.

Debbie
      We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

I found CinemaCraft CCE Basic to be both cheap ($58, available online) and giving excellent professional-level quality. It uses the same encoding engine as the professional $2000 encoder CinemaCraft CCE SP, but with a few features that are not needed for home use removed.

If you have no money to spend, there are a few free encoders available, that also give excellent quality. You can find out about them and more info on how to best use CCE Basic and SP on the forums at www.doom9.net.

The encoder in Adobe Premiere is by MainConcept I believe. This is by no means a bad encoder. If the Adobe Premiere version is crippled, you may want to check out a full version directly from MainConcept.

Canopus Procoder is another very good encoder, but I do keep hearing complaints on picture quality of the cheap version, the "Express" version. You may want to check that one out before you buy it.
        Apulo

Comment

Premiere, MSPro, VideoStudio and Vegas users can use about any external encoder they wish as if it were a plugin by installing the freeware DebugMode frameserver.

This tool acts as a new filetype that exports the timeline to a small proxy *.avi file on the HDD, which external encoders can then load and encode on the fly as the timeline is exported by the host.

The target program can be TMPGEnc, MainConcept external (has 2-pass), CCE, Windows Media Eneocer....basically anything that can load an *.avi.

That said; Premiere uses the MainConcept encoder plugin. You should be aware that MC offers their full external encoder (recently upgraded to 1.50) at a discounted price of ~$49 USD. It also has 2 pass and a very nice *.avi and *.mpg capture engine.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 October 2005, 10:57.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
            Premiere, MSPro, VideoStudio and Vegas users can use about any external encoder they wish as if it were a plugin by installing the freeware DebugMode frameserver.

This tool acts as a new filetype that exports the timeline to a small proxy *.avi file on the HDD, which external encoders can then load and encode on the fly as the timeline is exported by the host.

The target program can be TMPGEnc, MainConcept external (has 2-pass), CCE, Windows Media Eneocer....basically anything that can load an *.avi.

That said; Premiere uses the MainConcept encoder plugin. You should be aware that MC offers their full external encoder (recently upgraded to 1.50) at a discounted price of ~$49 USD. It also has 2 pass and a very nice *.avi and *.mpg capture engine.

Dr. Mordrid
            Hi Dr Modrid,
            You have always given great advice in the past, so I listen to you. I am not sure what to get. A premeire plug in sounds easier to use then a seperate program, but I want the best quality 2 pass vbr encode in my budget(under 300$). You recomended the full mainconcept encoder. It is a stand alone. Apulu recomended another which is a plug in ( how I am familiar with exporting timeline) . Do you have any more clarifications? I would prefer the plug in, but will bow to your very good advice . Thanks alot everyone for the advice.
            asus p4 533 c P4 2.53
            250 gb (w/ 8 mb buffer) removable caddie ( plus 10 gb ghost,250 Gb,160 GB,40 Gb, etc)
            samsung 40x cdrw burner
            Aardvark 20/20 soundcard
            Matrox Rt.x100
            Ati Radeon 9800 pro
            Xp Pro ( sp 2 )

Comment

Don't get me wrong, CCE is an excellent encoder. It's just my experience that MC properly set up is also an excellent option and it's very, very fast.

The frameserver plugin gives you the option of using any encoder you want to use, including TMPGEnc, MC or whatever.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The encoder in DVDWS has "2 pass" encoding. Works pretty good for me.

Ted
                Premiere PRO XP Pro
                Asus P4s533
                P4-2.8
                Matrox G450
                RT.x100
                45 GIG System Drive
                120 Export Drive
                Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
                Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                17" P4-3 HT
                1024 RAM
                32 MEG GForce
                60 GIG 7200RPM HD
                80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
                DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Hi all,
                  I went with the cinecraft encoder. I almost went with the mainconcept ( I always trust DR Mordrid) , but I am more familiar with plug ins and less worried about speed. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Now if anyone has a possible release date for the new adobe suite....... I'm still waiting to upgrade. Hope I don't have to wait until next april's nab.
                  asus p4 533 c P4 2.53
                  samsung 40x cdrw burner
                  Aardvark 20/20 soundcard
                  Matrox Rt.x100
                  Ati Radeon 9800 pro
                  Xp Pro ( sp 2 )

Comment

Working...
                  X