Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap & 2GB

Hi!

I get the new parts for my new computer today. Since I will have 2GB ram in the computer, do I need a swap in windows then?

/Leo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

It's still a good idea to leave a swap file there. You can reduce it's size a bit if you must, but I've always had best results letting windows manage it for me, at least since W2K came out.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Technically yes, but you don't have to. I've had my page file shut off with as little as 512 MB of RAM (of course I had most of my services shut off and my boot-up memory footprint was only 75 MB), and with 1 GB the pagefile is rarely used anyway; however, there will always be programs that will nag and complain if you don't have a pagefile. Photoshop and video games being the key among these.

I would recommend setting your pagefile to 512 MB max/min. The only downside to doing this is if your computer crashes there won't be enough space in the pagefile to put the dump ... but when was the last time you send a error dump off to Microsoft for troubleshooting?

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        [snip]... but when was the last time you send a error dump off to Microsoft for troubleshooting?

Jammrock
        Especially a 2G error dump

- Steve

Comment

I have 1 GB, XP automatically configured a swap file between 512 MB and 3 GB.

I made it fixed size at 3 GB (fixed size on an empty disk: the pagefile never gets fragmented), the applications I run (i.e. Nikon Capture) tend to use a lot of memory, and the swap gets used quite a lot at times....
          Without a doubt I could have made it smaller, but I figured: why risk it?

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

generally considered... 2k/XP can handle not having a swap file, unlike Win9X/ME. However, it is recommended to let it have the disk space because it will start acting.... wierd if you ever come close to maxing it out.
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
            X