How do I do this in MS Word...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I do this in MS Word...

I have been presented with a very long document which requires changing a single word which is dotted around various parts of the document to a different one.

How do I go about doing this using Word 2000?

Have you tried ctrl-H......Find and Replace ?

Comment

thanks for that SitFlyer.
      Unfortunately it seems that I will have to do it the hard way as she wanted I to be replaced with We. When I use ctrl-H combination the whole document gets screwed!

Comment

Isn't there an option to confirm the changes?
        Of course, I will probabely show up quite a lot in the document...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
          Unfortunately it seems that I will have to do it the hard way as she wanted I to be replaced with We. When I use ctrl-H combination the whole document gets screwed!
          Have you tried the "Find whole words only" option?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
            Yeah, but there should be an option to find whole words only.

Lemme check...

Yep, it's there in Word 2K3.
            Attached Files
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

thanks for that schmosef.
              Had to click on the more tab to get you attached thumbnail.

Now unfortunately all the Is have been replaced by WE instead of We.

Comment

I don't understand. Did you spell it as "WE" or "we"?
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

spelt it as We as all of the Is are at the beginning of a sentence.
                  tried we i.e. in lower case but the end result is sill the same, the we comes out in all caps i.e. WE.

Comment

U needed to check the Match case option as well then.... But replacing WE with We should not be that hard
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Just realise you still need the Match case option when Finding What WE and Replaling with We.

Comment

I don't think you can get the case right with f/r.
                        I is always capitalized and we isn't.

But you can use f/r and then grammar checker to check the capitalization of the resulting "we"s.

chuck
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well, if all the "I"s are at the beginning of a sentence then f/r could work. Just check whole words and match case and it is done.

Comment

Even if not, one might be able to use space + I in a f/r with "we" and then "I" for "We", but that might have to go into VBA, not sure. (At home, no office to check)

edit: Sry, this is silly. It's plain wrong. ll that I wrote above is right though I think. shoot me.

Comment

you can also search for I_ (...that _ is a typographical representation of the space after the I)

cc

Comment

Working...
                              X