Apple unveils video iPod and other stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple unveils video iPod and other stuff

Not much to say, head on over to Apple's website for all the new items they've released.

In summary, however, there is the new video iPod, iTunes 6 (5 sure didn't last long), new iMacs, and a remote thingy... oh yeah, Sh*tTime got updated.

Can't say I'm overly surprised at any of the announcements made and I'm only mildly excited about the video iPod. It's a nice upgrade to the line, but I'll wait till the nano gets video before I go all ga-ga

Update: Just took a better look at the new iPod, and it's definitely thin and the screen is better suited for video than the smaller screen on the nano.

The Apple Remote works with most any recent iPod (shuffle being the exception) and the new iMac - in-conjunction with the new Front Row software. Front Row is a Windows Media Centre rip-off for sure, but it's a welcome addition to the Mac as a home entertainment centre. I'm a little disappointed that this software and the remote weren't also included with a new Mac mini, as it is far better suited as an addition to an entertainment centre (no screen, size, cost).

The new iMac also comes with a built-in version of the iSight camera as well as a bundled Mighty Mouse. More impressed with the former than the latter given the many issues I've been told some friends have had with it.

iTunes, well the Music Store, now features purchasable videos and apparently Apple has teamed with ABC and Disney to allow for downloading of shows. If I get a chance to experiment with that feature I'll post more about it. Would be cool for those wanting to watch Lost in countries it doesn't air in (though price might be a hindrance and offer a less than attractive alternative to bittorrent).

iPod with video
    Remote
    Front Row
    Last edited by Jessterw; 12 October 2005, 13:09.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

More on the new video aspects of iTunes

I've obtained a copy of an episode of Lost that is available through iTunes. The episode in question is the pilot for Season 1, and is the only available one for this season, while Season 2 is mostly up-to-date on episodes. Each episode costs $1.99, which is the apparent cost for TV shows and music videos, regardless of duration.

In checking out the interface for videos, one can see things are still being developed. There is more integration and tailoring for the medium that needs to be done, but all-in-all it's getting there. It is blatantly obvious that the videos currently available were just tossed into the mix, as the hierarchical navigation menu doesn't quite work just yet.

Now, the episode I watched was pretty much what I expected, having seen the music videos that are sometimes bundled with the albums on iTunes, while also being a let-down. I can't say at this point what the quality would be like when viewed on a TV, but the size on even my 14" iBook screen was relatively small. You can adjust the display size all the way to full-screen; however, the quality does suffer a bit even at the lowest. So while the display is probably perfect for the new video-enabled iPods, it's less than optimal as an alternative to just buying a DVD or finding a high quality rip. Size and time to download are apparent factors that Apple had to look into before offering this service, as well as keeping the owners happy (wouldn't want to take away from DVD sales).

I'm definitely interested in seeing where Apple takes this over the coming months and years. iTunes is becoming a tad clunky with the handling of videos other than those pertaining to music, so either a name change and overhaul is needed or a new iTunes-like application geared towards movies needs to be created (iCinema maybe?).
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I think the best part is it supports H.264 and it can play 30fps with no stutter(from what I've read)
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
      X